The Earth Harp is it a possible acoustic instrument?

In summary: In 1981, Ellen Fullman began development of her Long String Instrument, which is played in the same way as William Close's Earth Harp- with rosined fingertips and a string path between banks of strings. Both instruments use a resonator box to amplify the sound. The LSI strings range from thirteen to thirty metres in length, and are tuned in just intonation. The range extends three octaves, from A-55 hertz at thirty-two metres in length (the A below the low C on the cello) to A-440 hertz at four metres in length (the open A on the violin).
Loran Pittman
I found this forum while searching for information on William Close Earth Harp. There is a closed thread here on the subject though it seems some are still in doubt one could tease sound from a long string device. While William created his Earth Harp in 1999, Ellen Fullman created her long string instrument in 1981. Both instruments consist of physically stroking long strings connected to a resonator box. I can confirm Ellen Fullman's instrument is an actual acoustic instrument and suspect William Close Earth Harp should function on the same principles. I played Ellen's instrument here in Austin in the early 90's. http://www.ellenfullman.com/Biography1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would have thought that any apparatus capable of making a sound could qualify as a musical instrument, even if a highly unusual one.
Motorbikes, canons, and pneumatic road drills have been used as elements in the composition of music.

Likes Loran Pittman
Indeed. One of my favorite non traditional compositions used several leaf blowers...

There is a closed thread here on the subject though it seems some are still in doubt one could tease sound from a long string device.

I had to google him but found a video here...

http://williamandtheearthharp.com/

In it, it states that the Earth Harp has 300 foot strings. However you can see there are cylindrical "masses" fixed some short distance from the base end and he plucks the short length of string between the base and the mass. So the effective length of the strings may not be as long as they seem. The other 290 foot might well be for show. In addition he might use any number of electronic effects to turn vibration in the string into sound.

I can think of a few other explanations for how long stringed instruments may work so don't really see why there should be any doubt.

Below is an except from an article on Ellen Fullman's Long String Instrument. She began development in 1981. William Close "invented" the Earth Harp in 1999, both work on the same principles. The strings are not being plucked. They are essentially being bowed with pinched fingers coated with rosin stroking a length of string. Ellen uses C clamps, William uses cylinders as Capos to tune individual strings. Both use a resonator box to acoustically amplify the sound:

"The Long String Instrument is played by rubbing the strings with rosined fingertips while walking along a pathway between banks of strings. Different overtones are emphasized as the performer moves past the harmonic nodes of each string.These overtones emerge as an array of higher-pitched harmonic relationships above the fundamental tone of each string.Sometimes these variations in overtone production seem to transform a single chord into entirely different harmonies.These changes can be heard in my music as motion, almost like a river moving past, always subtly changing, yet also seeming to remain the same.The physical scale of the installation and the interactions of the overtones with the installation space turn the respective room itself into a giant musical instrument.
(Since 1981) the focus of my musical activity has been the development of a project I call the Long String Instrument (LSI, for short). I have refined the construction of the instrument, established playing techniques, and evolved methods of composition and scoring.The Long String Instrument produces a unique, almost orchestral sound based on the overtones produced by longitudinally vibrating strings attached perpendicularly to acoustic wooden-box resonators (on all other string instruments the strings vibrate transversely, being attached parallel to the soundboard resonator).The LSI strings range in length from about thirteen to thirty metres,usually organized in multiple groupings. Strings are tuned in just intonation by c-clamps placed on each wire, establishing the vibrating length of the strings,much as a capo does on a guitar.The range extends three octaves, from A-55 hertz at thirty-two metres in length (the A below the low C on the cello) to A-440 hertz at four metres in length (the open A on the violin)."
http://www.ellenfullman.com/pdfs/mw85_Fullman.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is the Earth Harp a real instrument?

Yes, the Earth Harp is a real musical instrument that was created by musician and inventor William Close in 1999.

2. How does the Earth Harp work?

The Earth Harp works by using long, tensioned strings that are attached to a stationary bridge and then extended out to the surrounding environment. The strings are then played with hand-held bows or with automated mechanical bows, creating sounds that resonate through the strings and the environment.

3. Can the Earth Harp be played in different locations?

Yes, the Earth Harp can be played in various locations such as concert halls, outdoor spaces, and even in nature. The strings can be extended up to 1,000 feet, allowing for unique performances in different settings.

4. What kind of music can be played on the Earth Harp?

The Earth Harp can play a wide range of musical styles and genres, from classical to contemporary. Its unique sound and ability to create different tones and textures make it a versatile instrument for various types of music.

5. Is the Earth Harp environmentally friendly?

The Earth Harp is considered to be environmentally friendly because it uses natural surroundings and does not require any electricity or amplification. It also promotes a connection to nature and the environment through its unique sound and performance style.