The enzyme reverse transciptase is critical for?

• Thread starter littlelady
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reverse
In summary: The answer to the first question is Phosphate groups of serum phosphorproteins. The answer to the second question is that Co2, carbonic acid, and bicarbonate can all be used to buffer a solution containing some.
littlelady
4. The enzyme reverse transciptase is critical for?

A. converting the RNA genome of a virus into the DNA form of the host cell.
B. converting the RNA genome of a bacterium into the doble stranded RNA form.
C. replacig the uracil with the thymine in DNA strands.
D. replacing the broken phosphodiester bonds formed after viral attack in the host cell genome.
E. all of the above

5. Which of the following processes are part of gene expression?

A. replication of DNA to make a copy
B. DNA transcribed to RNA
c. RNA translated to make protein
D. a and b
E. b and c

6. How was the defecct in cystic fibrosis discovered?

A. Researchers searched for a gene ain a chromosomal region likely to included the defective gene
B. Researchers used mouse models to identify a human gene
C. researchers discovered the protein and proved it was missing in humans with cystic fibrosis
D. all of the above
E. none of the above

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. oxygen actually has 2 lone pairs in the water molecule; it uses 2 out of its 6 outermost electrons in bonding with hydrogen, leaving the 4 electrons, i.e. 2 lone pairs. i think you're right about the 4 h-bonds. 2 h-bonds due to the two lone pairs and 2 h-bonds due to the two hydrogen atoms having the high partial positive charge.

3. right, all three of them

5. gene expression has to do with proteins. c should be the right answer.

i'm not so sure about 2. and i don't know about 4 and 6.

thanks Kushal,

I have one more question to ask u

which of the following accurately lists the proper for these cells compentets in increasing size??
A. protein, proton, ribosome, mitochondira, bacteria......
: B. proton, protein, mitochondria, ribosome, bacteria
C. proton, protein, ribosome, mtochondria, bacteria
D. protein, proton, ribosome, mitochondria, bacteria
E. proton, protein, bacteria, ribosome, mitochondira

I think the answer is E because Bacteria is Prokaryotes...it's before Eukaryotes...what do u think?

Think about it.

E states that a bacteria is smaller than a ribosome

What is a ribosome and what is the purpose of a ribosome?

iansmith,

ribosome is used for protein synthesis. But bacteria = prokaryotes...ribosome and mitochondria are eukaryotes. I think E is the right anwer.

Hint: Bacteria contain ribosomes.

What should that tell you about their relative sizes?

Last edited:
Dear Bomba, Kushal, and Ismith,

I have another question

The most important buffering system for maintain proper blood PH is

A. charge on the amino acid
B. the bicarbonate buffer system of Co2, carbonic acid and bicarbonate
C. Phosphate groups of serum phosphorproteins
D. all of the above

First, I picked B because Co2 + H2o = H2C03 PKA = 6.1

BUT when i think about phosphate H2po4- = H+ + hpo4- PKA 7.2 intracellus PH is around 7.4 so equal amounts of acid / base...therefore, this one work too

Amino acid contain many Co2 and NH3 groups. Several group have PKA close to 7.4...so this could maintain PROPER BLOOD PH, too.

Am i right?? so the answer is ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ribosomes are really tiny structures, about 20-30 nm. protons are even smaller of course. proteins are in between them.

bacteria is an organism. it should be larger!

to help you out, protons are smallest. proteins are molecules, they 'consist' of protons. ribosomes are organelles which consist of molecules(rRNA). mitochondria are also organelles but much larger(there's an endosymbiont theory saying that mitochondria as well as chloroplasts, were prokaryotes) and finally you bacteria whioch are organisms after all.

sorry i don't know the answer for the above question; I've not done it yet...ooopss

littlelady said:
Dear Bomba, Kushal, and Ismith,

I have another question

The most important buffering system for maintain proper blood PH is

A. charge on the amino acid
B. the bicarbonate buffer system of Co2, carbonic acid and bicarbonate
C. Phosphate groups of serum phosphorproteins
D. all of the above

First, I picked B because Co2 + H2o = H2C03 PKA = 6.1

BUT when i think about phosphate H2po4- = H+ + hpo4- PKA 7.2 intracellus PH is around 7.4 so equal amounts of acid / base...therefore, this one work too

Amino acid contain many Co2 and NH3 groups. Several group have PKA close to 7.4...so this could maintain PROPER BLOOD PH, too.

Am i right?? so the answer is ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Hint: Which of the choices would you expect to find in concentrations
significant enough--in blood--to potentially buffer its pH?

Bomba,

Blood is around 7.4. But all of the PKA from A, B, and C are closed to 74...is it ALL OF THE ABOVE??

littlelady said:
Bomba,

Blood is around 7.4. But all of the PKA from A, B, and C are closed to 74...is it ALL OF THE ABOVE??
There is a difference between
"what is the most important (physiological) buffering system for blood pH"
and
"what can be used (artificially) to buffer a solution containing some blood"

Last edited:
Bomba,

I think the answer is all of the above. But when i read the question again..he asked " MOST IMPORTANT BUFFERING SYSTEM " then i think it's only Bicarbonate..blood is extracelluar has PKA around 6.1 that close to Blood PH...on the other hand, phosphate is only for intracelluar.

amino and phosphate groupalso help to maintain blood PH too but not all amino acid has PKA around 7.4...Also, amino and phosphate are minor not MAJOR to help maintain PH...then i go with BICARBONATE is my final answer :)

Last edited:
littlelady said:
Bomba,

I think the answer is all of the above. But when i read the question again..he asked " MOST IMPORTANT BUFFERING SYSTEM " then i think it's only Bicarbonate..blood is extracelluar has PKA around 6.1 that close to Blood PH...on the other hand, phosphate is only for intracelluar.

amino and phosphate groupalso help to maintain blood PH too but not all amino acid has PKA around 7.4...Also, amino and phosphate are minor not MAJOR to help maintain PH...then i go with BICARBONATE is my final answer :)
Yes, B is correct :)

Actually, this goes back to my second hint:
>Which of the choices would you expect to find in concentrations
significant enough--in blood--to potentially buffer its pH?

You mentioned that blood is an extracellular fluid. Amino acids are generally stored and used inside of cells, and so are phosphoproteins (which are not related to blood buffering in any reasonably direct way).

Last edited:
Bomba,

Thank you!

cAN SOMEONE help me to check my PH cal please :)

1. The pH of .55M aqueous solution of hypobromous acid, HBrO, at 25celcius is 4.45. What is the vale of Ka for HBrO?

HBr0 + h20 = H30+ + BRO-

Ph= - log (H+)
4.48 = -log (H+)
H+ = .00003

Ka = (.00003) ( .00003) / (.55 - .00003)
Ka = 2.0 x 10^-9

2. The Ka of hydrofluoric acid (HF) at 25 celcius is 6.8 x 10^-4. What is the pH of .35M aqueous solution of HF?

6.8 x 10^-4 = (x)(x) / (.35-x)
X = .015091

Ph= -log (H+)
ph = -log (.015091)
pH = 1.81

3. What is the final pH when 100 mL HCL is added to 900 mL of water?

(.5m / 1L ) ( 1L / 1000 ml ) (1000 Ml / 1 ) = .05 mol of HCL

Ka is not given..i went online and found ka for HCL is 1 x 10 ^6

1x 10^ 6 = (x)(x) / (.05-x)
X = .o5

ph = - log (h+)
Ph = - log (.05)
PH = 1.3

First two are correct :)
(except for a few minor errors in significant figures)

*For the last one, you may assume that HCl dissociates
completely in aqueous solution; hence pH=1

Last edited:
Bomba923,

What is the final pH when 100 ML of .5M HCL is added to 900 mL of water?

A. 1.3
B. 5.0
C. 13.0
D. .5
D. none of the above

I didn't see pH = 1 ...is it None of the above?? :( hihihi

I didn't see

littlelady said:
Bomba923,

What is the final pH when 100 ML of .5M HCL is added to 900 mL of water?

A. 1.3
B. 5.0
C. 13.0
D. .5
D. none of the above

I didn't see pH = 1 ...is it None of the above?? :( hihihi

I didn't see
The first time you posted this question (your previous post), you did NOT state the concentration of your 100ml HCl solution. Well, so to speak, I assumed that you were dealing with 1M HCl solution; thus, dilution with 900mL of water would yield 0.1M HCl solution, which clearly has
pH = 1

But, now that you write out the question more fully--i.e., assigning, in fact, a 0.5M concentration to your 100mL HCl solution--then dilution with 900mL of water would yield 0.05M HCl solution, which clearly has pH = 1.3

So, yes, the answer is "A"

Last edited:
Thank you :) problem solved :) yeehaaa :)

Related to The enzyme reverse transciptase is critical for?

1. What is reverse transcriptase and what does it do?

Reverse transcriptase is an enzyme that is critical for the replication of certain viruses, including HIV. It converts the viral RNA into DNA, which can then be integrated into the host cell's genome and used to produce new viral particles.

2. How does reverse transcriptase contribute to the spread of HIV?

Reverse transcriptase is essential for the replication of HIV, allowing the virus to make copies of itself and spread throughout the body. Without this enzyme, HIV would not be able to replicate and eventually cause AIDS.

3. Is reverse transcriptase only found in HIV?

No, reverse transcriptase is also found in other retroviruses, such as hepatitis B and certain types of cancer-causing viruses. It is also found in some non-retroviruses, such as telomerase, which helps maintain the length of our chromosomes.

4. Can reverse transcriptase be targeted for treatment?

Yes, reverse transcriptase inhibitors are a type of antiviral medication that specifically target this enzyme. These drugs can slow down or prevent the replication of HIV, helping to control the virus and reduce the risk of transmission.

5. Are there any known side effects of reverse transcriptase inhibitors?

Like any medication, reverse transcriptase inhibitors can have side effects, such as nausea, diarrhea, and headaches. In rare cases, these drugs may also cause more serious side effects, so it is important to closely monitor their use and consult with a healthcare provider.