The field equations of elasticity

Navier's equation, which describes the displacement of an elastic medium with two time derivatives and two space derivatives. However, there is some debate over whether specific names and categories are necessary for these equations.
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
What is the mathematical category of the field equations of elasticity?
First, my ignorance... I know there are classes of equations: Laplace, Poisson, Wave, Diffusion, etc.

(I suppose Laplace is a subset of Poisson, but that is not the issue).

Into what category of mathematical equations would you place the field equations of elasticity (stress/strain/displacement)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you feel that they need to have a specific name?

Chestermiller said:
Why do you feel that they need to have a specific name?
Oh, I don't -- not in the least. Sometimes, names and categories undermine learning.

However, I DO know there are names given to the various types of differential equations and I am only interested to know if the field equations of elasticity are part of a particular category.

The relevant categorisation is as elliptic (Poisson), parabolic (diffusion) or hyperbolic (wave).

The equation for displacement of an elastic medium has at leading order two time derivatives on the left and two space derivatives on the right, both with positive coefficieints; we have therefore a hyperbolic system.

Likes wrobel
Are you talking about Navier's equations?

Yes to Mason and hunt

Mason7 said:
I think you are talking about Navier's equation. Am i right?
Yes

1. What are the field equations of elasticity?

The field equations of elasticity are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between stress and strain in a material. They are used to predict how a material will deform under applied forces.

2. What is the difference between linear and nonlinear elasticity?

Linear elasticity assumes that the relationship between stress and strain is proportional and reversible, while nonlinear elasticity takes into account the nonlinear behavior of materials under large deformations.

3. How are the field equations of elasticity derived?

The field equations of elasticity are derived from the fundamental laws of mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law. They can also be derived from the energy conservation principle.

4. What are some applications of the field equations of elasticity?

The field equations of elasticity are used in a wide range of applications, including structural engineering, material design, and biomechanics. They are also used in the development of new materials and in the study of earthquakes and other natural phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations to the field equations of elasticity?

Yes, the field equations of elasticity have some limitations. They assume that materials are homogeneous and isotropic, and they do not take into account factors such as temperature and time. In addition, they may not accurately predict the behavior of materials under extreme conditions.