The force required to accelerate a radiating charge

In summary, the conversation discusses the force needed to accelerate a non-relativistic point charge uniformly while taking into account the fact that it radiates. The Larmor power is assumed to do the necessary extra work, but this would imply an infinite force at points where the velocity is 0. The conversation also touches on the concept of radiation reaction force and its relation to energy conservation. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that there is a dilemma in conserving energy when there is zero radiation reaction force for constant acceleration.
blgeo
If we try to treat a non-relativistic point charge, what force do we need to accelerate it uniformly, when we take the fact that it radiates into account? I assumed the force would do the necessary extra work so that:

F dx = d(1/2 mv^2) + P dt;

where P is the Larmor power, but at any point where the velocity is 0 this would imply an infinite force. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the cart in front of the horse.

The emitted radiation is a very, very small drag force on the electron, not the accelerating force, which usually comes from an applied electric or magnetic field.

I'm assuming a case with no 'jerk' (constant acceleration), and I would like to figure out what force we need to put in in order to achieve this - I'm aware the radiation is effectively a small drag on the electron, but what is the required additional input force to keep acceleration constant, and conserve energy? I don't think Abraham Lorentz is much help as this applies to non-constant a. How do we conserve energy when a dot = 0?

In case of no jerk,you can see there is zero radiation reaction force but you also know that an accelerating charge radiates,so there is supposed to be some force putting energy into it.But the problem is from where it will come because radiation reaction is zero for constant acceleration.You can see for this dilemma here
http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath528/kmath528.htm

Just what I was looking for - thanks andrien

1. How is the force required to accelerate a radiating charge calculated?

The force required to accelerate a radiating charge is calculated using the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the electric field.

2. What factors influence the force required to accelerate a radiating charge?

The force required to accelerate a radiating charge is influenced by the charge of the particle, the strength of the electric field, and the mass of the particle.

3. Can the force required to accelerate a radiating charge be negative?

Yes, the force required to accelerate a radiating charge can be negative if the charge of the particle and the direction of the electric field are opposite. This would result in a deceleration of the particle.

4. How does the force required to accelerate a radiating charge relate to radiation?

The force required to accelerate a radiating charge is responsible for the emission of radiation from the particle. As the particle is accelerated, it emits electromagnetic radiation in the form of photons.

5. Is the force required to accelerate a radiating charge affected by the speed of the particle?

Yes, the force required to accelerate a radiating charge is affected by the speed of the particle. As the particle approaches the speed of light, the force required to accelerate it further increases, making it more difficult to accelerate the particle.