The Formation of Salts Through Neutralization Reactions

• Thread starter ND3G
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary: In this case you should use this form of ammonia and react it with H3N.HI (or NH4.HI - same thing).In summary, the neutralization reactions for the formation of lithium carbonate, copper (II) chlorate, aluminum sulphate, and ammonium iodide can be written as follows: - lithium carbonate: H2CO3 + 2LiOH --> Li2CO3 + 2H2O - copper (II) chlorate: 2HClO3 + Cu(OH)2 --> Cu(ClO3)2 + 2H2O - aluminum sulphate: 3H2SO4 + 2Al(OH)3 --> Al2(SO
ND3G
Write equations for the neutralization reactions that result in the formation of the following salts:

lithium carbonate
H2CO3 + LiO2 --> LiCO3 + H2O

copper (II) chlorate
2HClO3 + CuO --> Cu(ClO3)2 + H2O

aluminium sulphate
2Al(OH3) + 3H2SO4 + 10H2O --> Al2(SO4)3 * 16H2O

ammonium iodide
20HN3O + 13H2O + 30I2 --> 60NH4I + 20H2O

This is all pretty new to me so could someone take a quick look at this and tell me know if I am doing it correctly? If I understand the process, water is a bi-product of the neutralization process. I also tried to find known acids or bases to base the left side equation off.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your cupric chlorate reaction seems good.
Your lithium carbonate reaction looks like an error.
Try better, [tex] \[
H_2 CO_3 \; + \;Li_2 O\; \Rightarrow \;Li_2 CO_3 \; + \;H_2 O
\] [/tex]

Neutralization reaction is a reaction between acid and BASE, not between acid and oxide as you wrote in the first two cases. Ammonium iodide is made when NH3(aq) (or NH4OH, or NH3.H2O, you may see different notations) reacts with HI (hydroiodic acid).

Last edited:
i'm taking the same course, i got
lithium carbonate
2 LiOH + H2CO3 = 2 H2O + Li2CO3
copper (II) Chlorate
2 HCl)3+ Cu(OH)2 = 2 H2O + Cu(ClO3)2
aluminum sluphate
3 H2SO4 + 2 Al(OH)3 = 6 H2O + Al2(SO4)3
ammonium iodide
HI + NH4OH = H2O + NH4I

I'm not compleatly sure if these are right but if someone can verify this it would be helpful

Looks OK. As I have already signalled earlier - ammonia can be tricky, as it is not necesarilly in the form of NH4OH.

Or rather it is not in this form for sure, but your prof may want this form.

Related to The Formation of Salts Through Neutralization Reactions

1. What is a naturalization reaction?

A naturalization reaction is a chemical reaction in which an acid and a base react to form salt and water. This process is also known as neutralization.

2. How does a naturalization reaction occur?

In a naturalization reaction, the hydrogen ions from the acid combine with the hydroxide ions from the base to form water. The remaining ions combine to form salt.

3. What are some examples of naturalization reactions?

Some common examples of naturalization reactions include the reaction between hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide to form sodium chloride (table salt) and water, and the reaction between sulfuric acid and calcium hydroxide to form calcium sulfate (gypsum) and water.

4. What is the importance of naturalization reactions?

Naturalization reactions are important in many areas of science and everyday life. They are used in the production of various products, such as fertilizers and cleaning products. They also play a vital role in maintaining the pH balance in our bodies and in the environment.

5. How can naturalization reactions be controlled or manipulated?

Naturalization reactions can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the amounts of acid and base used, as well as the concentration and temperature of the solution. Catalysts can also be used to speed up the reaction or to make it more efficient.

Back