"The Great Wall", a movie for the Mythbusters of yore

• Thread starter Noisy Rhysling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie Wall
In summary, the movie Saw has some interesting concepts, but is ultimately a typical monster movie with poor casting. Boss Lady and I had fun.
Noisy Rhysling
Saw this yesterday and was thinking of Adam and Jamie afterwards. Several things in the movie were, IMNSHO, testable.

1. How much gunpowder would be needed to blow open a door made of iron reinforced wood that is 100mm or so thick?

2. Can you make a flying guillotine out of a shield? (A revisit, IIRC.)

3. The aerial work, some aspects of it at least.

Maybe not a whole "special", but certainly some fun, with explosions.

Likes UsableThought
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting concept and great director but from the trailer it looks like a typical monster movie. I think Matt Damon is criminally miscast for this role.

Likes AidenFlamel
Greg Bernhardt said:
Interesting concept and great director but from the trailer it looks like a typical monster movie. I think Matt Damon is criminally miscast for this role.
Boss Lady and I had fun. Can't ask for more than that.

Noisy Rhysling said:
Maybe not a whole "special", but certainly some fun, with explosions.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think Matt Damon is criminally miscast for this role.

Well, I have an addiction to really goofy action movies . . . and was a big fan of the first two Bourne flics. But that trailer . . . and Matt Damon's "accent" . . . and the pointlessness of casting a white guy in the lead of a pseudo-historical Chinese movie . .. . I'll pass. That trailer in just awful-seeming. I'd gotten the impression Damon has been careful in the past in what he picks to do, but this seems an outlier.

As far as the Great Wall, and monsters coming at it? Reminds me of the "Wall of Life" that did not fare very well in another goofy action movie, Pacific Rim. Which I admit to liking quite a lot. So it's not like I can defend my taste . . .

Last edited:
"Pacific Rim."
Ouch.
Can't speak for the Wall, but I got ten minutes into 'Pacific Rim' before shutting it off lest I threw things at the TV...

Nik_2213 said:
"Pacific Rim."
Ouch.
Can't speak for the Wall, but I got ten minutes into 'Pacific Rim' before shutting it off lest I threw things at the TV...
Just live action anime.

Likes UsableThought
Noisy Rhysling said:
Just live action anime.
Agree. I went in forearmed. It was a fun romp.
I wouldn't call it sci-fi. Maybe techno-fantasy?
Actually live action anime sums it up perfectly.

Likes Noisy Rhysling and UsableThought
I just got out from seeing 'Life'.
It was a fun, scary romp.
But it was an even smaller story than I thought. It involved exactly six characters in a world only 357 feet end-to-end.

Downloading, will take a look.

1. What is the historical accuracy of "The Great Wall" movie?

The movie is primarily a work of fiction and does not accurately depict historical events. While the Great Wall of China does exist, the movie's portrayal of the wall as a defense against mythical creatures is not based on any historical evidence.

2. Is the technology portrayed in the movie realistic?

The technology portrayed in the movie, such as the use of gunpowder and paper bombs, is not historically accurate. These technologies were not in use during the time period in which the movie is set.

3. Can the creatures in the movie be scientifically explained?

No, the creatures in the movie are purely fictional and have no scientific explanation. They are based on Chinese mythology and have no basis in reality.

4. Was the Great Wall of China really built to keep out invaders?

While the primary purpose of the Great Wall of China was to serve as a defensive structure, it was not built solely to keep out invaders. The wall also served as a symbol of the Chinese empire and had many other uses, such as regulating trade and transportation.

5. Did Matt Damon's character really exist in history?

No, Matt Damon's character is entirely fictional and was not based on any real person in history. The movie's plot and characters are purely fictional and not based on any historical events or figures.

Back