The +I Effect & Bond Breakage in Alcohols & Acids

• Thread starter opencircuit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bond
In summary, in alcohols, the +I effect of alkyl groups increases the negative charge on the oxygen atom, making it easier to break the C-O bond. However, in acids, the +I effect of alkyl groups decreases the positive charge on the carbon atom, making it more difficult to break the C=O bond. This is due to the electron-withdrawing effect of the carboxyl group, which promotes the release of a proton and stabilizes the resulting carboxylate anion through resonance.
opencircuit
In alcohols, the negative charge on 'Oxygen atom' increases due to '+I effect' of alkyl groups. While in acids, the '+I effect' of alkyl groups decreases the positive charge on the 'Carbon atom'.

In the first case the +I effect makes it easier to break the C-O bond while in the second case the +I effect makes the breakage of 'C=O' bond difficult. Please explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of the second case with the carboxyl group: The + charge about the carbon
promotes an electron withdrawing effect on the hydroxyl oxygen by induction. This facilitates release of the proton.
The carboxylate anion is then stablized as a two structure resonance hybrid.

=O
C
-O-

-O-
C
=O

note: scroll down to the Chemistry section as this type of question is better there

Last edited:

Related to The +I Effect & Bond Breakage in Alcohols & Acids

What is the +I effect and how does it impact bond breakage in alcohols and acids?

The +I effect, also known as the inductive effect, is a phenomenon in organic chemistry where the electronegativity of a neighboring atom can influence the distribution of electrons in a molecule. This effect is particularly important in alcohols and acids, where the presence of a more electronegative atom, such as oxygen, can weaken the bond between the carbon and hydrogen atoms.

What is the difference between the +I effect and the -I effect?

The +I effect involves the donation of electrons from a neighboring atom, while the -I effect involves the withdrawal of electrons. In the case of alcohols and acids, the +I effect occurs when an oxygen atom donates electrons to the carbon-hydrogen bond, weakening it. On the other hand, the -I effect may occur when a more electronegative atom, such as fluorine, withdraws electrons from the carbon-hydrogen bond, making it stronger.

How does the +I effect impact the acidity of alcohols and acids?

The +I effect can increase the acidity of alcohols and acids by destabilizing the bond between the carbon and hydrogen atoms. This makes it easier for the hydrogen ion to dissociate from the molecule, resulting in a stronger acid. However, the strength of the +I effect may vary depending on the specific molecule and its environment.

Can the +I effect be observed in other types of molecules?

Yes, the +I effect can be observed in various types of molecules, including aldehydes, ketones, and esters. In these molecules, the presence of a more electronegative atom can affect the stability of the carbonyl group, resulting in changes in reactivity and acidity.

How can the +I effect be utilized in organic synthesis?

The +I effect can be utilized in organic synthesis to control the reactivity and selectivity of reactions. By strategically choosing substituents with different electron-donating or electron-withdrawing properties, chemists can influence the strength of the +I effect and manipulate the outcome of a reaction. This can be particularly useful in the synthesis of complex molecules with multiple functional groups.