The kinetic energy of proton-electron for a black body

In summary, the video explains that when light interacts with the surface of a body, the electrons and protons start oscillating. Due to the electron's smaller mass, it gains more transferred energy from the light, resulting in a larger kinetic energy compared to the proton. The misconception that kinetic energy is proportional to mass is addressed, as it also depends on the velocity. The analogy of a bullet and gun is used to explain the concept further.
sinus
I'm watching a video about " What is a black body?". That video said when the light interacts with the surface of a body, the electron and proton start oscillating. The electrons gain more transferred energy from the light that became its kinetic energy, rather than the proton because its mass are much less massive than protons.

First, I confused because kinetic energy is proportional with mass, the greater the mass the greater the energy, right? Well, proton's mass is 1.836 times larger than the electron, why electron gets more energy from light? My idea is because electron is freely to move rather than the proton that located at the center of the atom (it can't move easily). Is my idea right that even the proton's mass is more more greater, it still can't make its kinetic energy larger than the electron's?

Please tell me if my idea above is right or there's a misconception, thank you all so much.

Science news on Phys.org
sinus said:
The electrons gain more transferred energy from the light that became its kinetic energy, rather than the proton because its mass are much less massive than protons.

First, I confused because kinetic energy is proportional with mass, the greater the mass the greater the energy, right?
Kinetic energy is also proportional to velocity squared, the change of which depends on the mass too. You are confusing kinetic energy for a fixed velocity with kinetic energy gained in a collision/interaction.

• Informative
Likes PeroK, Gleb1964, topsquark and 2 others
A.T. said:
Kinetic energy is also proportional to velocity squared, the change of which depends on the mass too. You are confusing kinetic energy for a fixed velocity with kinetic energy gained in a collision/interaction.
Oh yeaah, I forgot to consider the velocity. Thank you so much :)

sinus said:
First, I confused because kinetic energy is proportional with mass, the greater the mass the greater the energy, right?
That assumes the same speeds!!

The Force on an electron (charge e) in a field E will be eE. Same magnitude for a proton (charge -e). If the field is applied for time t then the changes in momentum will be
eEt/me and eEt/mp. The lighter particle gets two thousand times more momentum. So the ratio of kinetic energies will be 20002. We ignore the p energy.

We're in the same neck of the woods as when a bullet gets most of the energy and the (massive) gun gets only a small amount.

• Informative
Likes sinus and topsquark
sinus said:
Well, proton's mass is 1.836 times larger than the electron, why electron gets more energy from light?
You meant 1,836 =1.836E3 times I presume. That makes gun/bullet analogy just about perfect

Likes sinus
hutchphd said:
You meant 1,836 =1.836E3 times I presume.
Depends on where in the world you are...

Likes SammyS
Thanks. I have seen the comma (,) used to demarcate the decimal point but not the period (.) for thousands. Very old dog new tricks!

You must NEVER use the comma (in German the point) in this way ever! Even worse are words like "billion" (is it ##10^9## as in the US or ##10^{12}## as in Germany?). We have a concise scientific notation, we should use in the natural sciences, and nothing else!

Like the kilogram to denote one unit of mass...

:wink:

• Haha
Likes sophiecentaur, Vanadium 50, hutchphd and 1 other person

1. What is the kinetic energy of a proton-electron for a black body?

The kinetic energy of a proton-electron for a black body is the energy that results from the movement of the proton and electron within the black body. It is a type of thermal energy that is generated by the random motion of particles within the black body.

2. How is the kinetic energy of a proton-electron for a black body calculated?

The kinetic energy of a proton-electron for a black body can be calculated using the formula KE = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of the particle and v is its velocity. This formula takes into account the mass and speed of the particles within the black body to determine the total kinetic energy.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a proton-electron for a black body?

The kinetic energy of a proton-electron for a black body is affected by several factors, including the temperature of the black body, the mass and velocity of the particles, and the type of particles present. Higher temperatures and faster-moving particles will result in a higher kinetic energy.

4. How does the kinetic energy of a proton-electron for a black body relate to the concept of black body radiation?

The kinetic energy of a proton-electron for a black body is closely related to the concept of black body radiation. As particles within the black body move and collide, they emit electromagnetic radiation in the form of heat. This radiation is directly linked to the kinetic energy of the particles within the black body.

5. Can the kinetic energy of a proton-electron for a black body be measured?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a proton-electron for a black body can be measured using various techniques such as spectroscopy or calorimetry. These methods involve measuring the temperature and energy of the black body and its particles to determine the kinetic energy. However, due to the random and complex nature of the particles within a black body, the exact kinetic energy may be difficult to measure accurately.