The Logic Behind Equating Differential Operators to Numbers in Electromagnetism

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence between the differential operator nabla and the number ik in Cartesian coordinates, and the substitution of the time derivative with -iw. This is due to the Fourier decomposition of fields, which converts vector operators into algebraic relations in frequency-wavevector space, making it easier to solve certain problems in electrodynamics.
mertcan
hi, nowadays I try to get involved electromagnetic waves equations, and I came across that $$ \nabla $$ is treated like $$ ik $$ and $$ \frac {\partial } {\partial t} $$ is treated like $$ -iw $$ And if you look at the part painted with orange in my attachment, afterwards you can see that $$ \nabla $$ and $$ \frac {\partial } {\partial t} $$ is equated to the $$ ik $$ and $$ -iw $$ respectively. It is so weird because those operators are equated to a number. How is it possible? What is the logic of this situation ? Is there a proof of that situation?
I am looking forward to your valuable responses. Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• XXX.pdf
    119 KB · Views: 210
Physics news on Phys.org
You should relabel your question as category B. I guess, it is also good advice to learn vector calculus first. A very good short summary can be found in many textbooks in electrodynamics, as in the textbooks by Abraham and Becker, Schwartz, or Griffiths.

In Cartesian coordinates the nabla symbol represents the differential operator
$$\vec{\nabla}=\vec{e}_x \partial_x + \vec{e}_y \partial_y + \vec{e}_z \partial_z=\sum_{j=1}^3 \vec{e}_j \partial_j.$$
For a plane-wave ansatz of an arbitrary field
$$\phi(t,\vec{x})=\phi_0 \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t+\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}),$$
you have, e.g.,
$$\partial_x \phi=\mathrm{i} k_x \phi_0 \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t+\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x})=\mathrm{i} k_x \phi(t,\vec{x}),$$
i.e.,
$$\vec{\nabla} \phi=\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \phi.$$
Thus for such fields you can indeed set ##\vec{\nabla} \rightarrow \mathrm{i} \vec{k}##.

The time derivative in the same sense is obviously equivalent to the substitution ##\partial_t=-\mathrm{i} \omega##.

This underlines the merit of the Fourier decomposition of fields: The vector operators in time-position representation become algebraic relations with ##\omega## and ##\vec{k}## (i.e., in frequency-wavevector space), i.e., the field equations become algebraic equations, and often you can solve problems by transforming the solutions of these algebraic equations back to time-position space.

What is skin depth in electromagnetism?

Skin depth in electromagnetism is a measure of how deep an electromagnetic wave can penetrate into a material. It is defined as the distance that an electromagnetic wave can travel in a material before its amplitude decreases to 1/e (about 37%) of its original value.

What factors affect skin depth?

The factors that affect skin depth include the frequency of the electromagnetic wave, the material's electrical conductivity, and the permeability of the material. Higher frequencies, higher conductivity, and lower permeability result in a smaller skin depth.

How is skin depth used in practical applications?

Skin depth is used in practical applications such as designing antennas, determining the effectiveness of shielding materials, and calculating the resistance of conductors. It is also used in non-destructive testing methods to measure the thickness of conductive materials.

Why is skin depth important in electromagnetic compatibility?

Skin depth is important in electromagnetic compatibility because it determines how much an electromagnetic wave can penetrate through a material. This can affect the performance of electronic devices and can cause interference between different systems if not taken into account.

How is skin depth related to the skin effect?

The skin effect is a phenomenon in which the current flowing through a conductor is concentrated near the surface, resulting in a decrease in effective cross-sectional area. Skin depth is directly related to the skin effect as it is the measure of how deep the current penetrates into the material.