The partial pressure of gases below sea level?

In summary: Ms measure pressure in several different ways. One way is to measure the pressure differential between two points. Another way is to measure the pressure at a known depth. And another way is to measure the pressure at a known point and then calculate the hydrostatic head.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

The partial pressure of the atmosphere 33 feat benath the surface is doubled the normal amount. (2x760 mmHg). I can understand how lower you go down higher the pressure but I don't understand how you can measure atmospheric pressure under the sea. I mean under the sea you got water around you not atmosphere. Are the gases in atmosphere dissolved in this water. My question is mainly related to divers under the sea. They get double the atmospheric pressure of nitrogen and nitrogen narcosis could occur. So how do you get double the N2 in the atmosphere when you are surrounded by the sea. Also why do these effects occur when divers are using an oxygen tank. The gases inside the oxygen tank is normal atmospheric pressure right. Thanks :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Scuba divers use tanks of compressed air. This air goes through the special kind of valve, called diving regulator - so that air that is feeded to the diver has exactly the pressure of surrounding water. So its pressure depends on the depth and is not constant.

Borek said:
Scuba divers use tanks of compressed air. This air goes through the special kind of valve, called diving regulator - so that air that is feeded to the diver has exactly the pressure of surrounding water. So its pressure depends on the depth and is not constant.

So the pressure inside the lungs is equal to the pressure outside the body. Is this because pressure outside pushes on you and lung increases the pressure by same amount to neutralize this. Please feel free to explain this more. So can lungs regulate pressure without a tank. When you climb up a mountain does the lung regulate pressure to keep up with the low pressure outside. How does the lung do this and how does the lung neutralize the pressure acting all around your body.

Thanks a lot for the help!

sameeralord said:
So the pressure inside the lungs is equal to the pressure outside the body.

More or less. In fact lungs are open to the air (just like an open bottle) so there is no way for the pressure in the lungs to differ much from the surroundings. When you are breathing you are creating some over- and underpressure to move the air, but these differences are small, and they are relative to the externall pressure, whatever it is.

sameeralord said:
Hello everyone,

The partial pressure of the atmosphere 33 feat benath the surface is doubled the normal amount. (2x760 mmHg). I can understand how lower you go down higher the pressure but I don't understand how you can measure atmospheric pressure under the sea. I mean under the sea you got water around you not atmosphere...

They are just using atmospheric pressure as a reference pressure. At approximately 33 feet, the hydrostatic head pressure of the water is equivalent to 1 atm or approximately 14.69 psia (760 mmHg). Since atmospheric pressure is also 14.69 psia (760 mmHg), you have P_atm + P_hyd = 2x760 mmHg.

CS

1. What is the partial pressure of gases below sea level?

The partial pressure of gases below sea level refers to the pressure exerted by a specific gas in a mixture of gases at a specific depth below the surface of the ocean. It is commonly used in scuba diving to calculate the amount of oxygen and other gases that a diver can safely breathe at different depths.

2. How does the partial pressure of gases change as depth increases below sea level?

As depth increases below sea level, the partial pressure of gases also increases. This is because the weight of the water above exerts more pressure on the gases, causing them to compress. This is why divers are limited in how deep they can go and how long they can stay at certain depths.

3. How does temperature affect the partial pressure of gases below sea level?

Temperature has a direct effect on the partial pressure of gases below sea level. As the temperature increases, the molecules of the gas become more active and exert more pressure. This means that at warmer temperatures, the partial pressure of gases below sea level will be higher.

4. What happens to the partial pressure of gases as a diver ascends to the surface?

As a diver ascends to the surface, the pressure exerted by the water decreases, causing the partial pressure of gases to decrease as well. This is why it is important for divers to ascend slowly and safely, to allow their bodies to adjust to the changing pressure and avoid decompression sickness.

5. How is the partial pressure of gases measured below sea level?

The partial pressure of gases below sea level can be measured using a diving computer or a dive table. These tools take into account the depth, time spent at that depth, and the gas mixture being used to calculate the partial pressure of each gas and ensure safe diving practices.