The Significance of Negative Energy in the Rutherford Model of the Atom

In summary, the KE of an electron revolving around a nucleus is always positive, while the PE is negative (except at infinity). In the Rutherford model, if the total energy (TE) is positive, the electron will not follow a closed orbit. The magnitude of PE is twice that of KE, resulting in the negative TE. Negative energy represents the amount of work needed to separate the electron and nucleus, with the zero-point defined as when they are infinitely far apart and at rest.
AudioFlux
The KE (kinetic energy) of an electron revolving around a nucleus is always positive, and the PE (potential energy) of an electron is negative (except at infinity, where it is zero). Here, I am speaking from the point of view of the Rutherford model. The material from which I am reading from says that the electron will not follow a closed orbit around the nucleus if the TE is positive. Also, I am aware of the fact that the magnitude of PE is twice of that of KE. So it is not surprising why the TE is is negative. But, I do not get the physical significance of negative energy. Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong...Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
AudioFlux said:
I do not get the physical significance of negative energy.

It means that you have to do positive work on the system (electron + nucleus) to separate it, that is, bring its total energy up to zero. We define the zero-point of energy in this situation to be when the electron and nucleus are "just barely unbound" from each other, infinitely far from each other and at rest.

jtbell said:
It means that you have to do positive work on the system (electron + nucleus) to separate it, that is, bring its total energy up to zero. We define the zero-point of energy in this situation to be when the electron and nucleus are "just barely unbound" from each other, infinitely far from each other and at rest.

OH! I get it now. Thanks a ton :smile:

Related to The Significance of Negative Energy in the Rutherford Model of the Atom

1. What is the total energy of an electron?

The total energy of an electron is the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy. It is also referred to as the electron's total energy level or its total energy state.

2. How is the total energy of an electron calculated?

The total energy of an electron can be calculated using the formula E = KE + PE, where E is the total energy, KE is the kinetic energy, and PE is the potential energy.

3. What factors affect the total energy of an electron?

The total energy of an electron is affected by its velocity, mass, and the electric potential in its surroundings. It can also be influenced by external forces like electric and magnetic fields.

4. Can the total energy of an electron change?

Yes, the total energy of an electron can change. It can gain or lose energy through interactions with other particles or by absorbing or emitting photons.

5. How does the total energy of an electron relate to its orbit in an atom?

The total energy of an electron determines its orbit in an atom. The higher the energy level of an electron, the further it is from the nucleus. When an electron gains or loses energy, its orbit changes accordingly.