The Square of the Sum Formula and real world scenarios

In summary, the speaker is self-studying Algebra I and is currently learning about the formula for the square of the sum, the square of the distance formula, and the difference of squares formula. They understand the first formula but are confused about the use of the other two. These formulas can be used to shortcut calculations and are also related to deeper mathematical concepts such as combinatorics. They are also helpful in calculating the next square and understanding the relationship between successive integer squares.
DS2C
I'm starting with my self studying of math with Algebra I. The text I'm using is Gelfand and Shen's Algebra.
I'm at the point where it talks about the Formula for the Square of the Sum, The Square of the Distance Formula,
and The Difference of Squares Formula.

In going over this, I understand that the formula for the square of the sum is essentially saying the following:
If a boys each received a candies, they would walk away with a total of ##a^2## candies.
If b girls each received b candies, they would walk away with a total of ##b^2## candies.
In using this same scenario, but the boys received ab candies and the girls received ba candies, they would walk away with 2ab more than the previous scenarios. This equation is listed below.

$$\left(a+b\right)^2~=~a^2+b^2+2ab$$

Now I understand this logic, however in looking at the other two formulas, ##\left(a-b\right)^2~=~a^2-2ab+b^2## (the square of the distance formula) as well as ##a^2-b^2~=~\left(a+b\right)\left(a-b\right)## (the difference of squares formula), I can't put together a scenario in which these could be used in a scenario like in the first example.

Could someone give me some insight into what these last two are exactly use for?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
##(a-b)^2=a^2-2ab+b^2## is exactly the same as ##(a+b)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2\,##, just with a negative ##b##.
You can use all three to shortcut calculations in mind, because they only describe, what people do anyway:
##29^2 = 29 \cdot (20 +9) = 29 \cdot 20 + 29 \cdot 9 = 20 \cdot 20 + 9 \cdot 20 + 20 \cdot 9 + 9 \cdot 9 = 20^2+2\cdot20\cdot9+9^2=400+360+81=841## and shorter with the right formula ##29^2=(30-1)^2=900-2\cdot1\cdot30+1=841##.
Similar is true for the third formula:
##49 \cdot 51 = 2499## because ##(a-b)\cdot(a+b)=a^2 - b^2## immediately gives ##49\cdot51=(50-1)\cdot(50+1)=50^2-1\,.##

So basically these formulas save time: no need for written long multiplications or change of media by taking a calculator. Of course this is only the practical aspect of it. They are the surface of some deeper mathematical truths. You can a search for Pascal's triangle, e.g. here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_triangle and see aspects of combinatorics. And especially the third one, ##(a-b)\cdot(a+b)=a^2 - b^2\,,## is often used in the case of ##b=1##.

They are simply a different way to write the same number, and if we talk about factorization of numbers, as is often the case in various mathematical areas, they come in handy. It's like Pythagoras' theorem: simple, true, easy to use and faster than complicated calculations.

Likes DS2C
That was a great help, thank you for writing that out.

DS2C said:
Could someone give me some insight into what these last two are exactly use for?
How to calculate the next square: If you know [itex] x^{2}[/itex], then [itex](x+1)^{2}=x^{2}+2\cdot x + 1[/itex]. It also shows that the difference between two successive integer squares is always an odd number.

1. What is the Square of the Sum Formula?

The Square of the Sum Formula is a mathematical equation that calculates the square of the sum of two numbers. It is written as (a + b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2, where a and b are any real numbers.

2. How is the Square of the Sum Formula used in real world scenarios?

The Square of the Sum Formula can be used in various real world scenarios, such as calculating the area of a square, finding the total cost of two items, or determining the total force of two combined objects.

3. Can the Square of the Sum Formula be used with more than two numbers?

Yes, the Square of the Sum Formula can be extended to include more than two numbers by adding more terms to the equation. For example, (a + b + c)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + 2ac + b^2 + 2bc + c^2.

4. How does the Square of the Sum Formula relate to the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Square of the Sum Formula is a special case of the Pythagorean Theorem, where a and b are the two shorter sides of a right triangle and the square of their sum is equal to the square of the hypotenuse.

5. What is the difference between the Square of the Sum Formula and the Sum of the Squares Formula?

The Square of the Sum Formula calculates the square of the sum of two or more numbers, while the Sum of the Squares Formula calculates the sum of the squares of two or more numbers. In other words, the Square of the Sum Formula involves adding the numbers first and then squaring the sum, while the Sum of the Squares Formula involves squaring each number first and then adding them together.