The Symmetry Group of a Hexagonal Prism and Orthogonal Matrices

In summary, we have determined the groups $K$ and $J$ for each part, and have shown that $G=K\times J$ in all cases, yielding the group $G\approx K\oplus J$.
JonJones
View attachment 6246

For part (a) we have 6 rotations, 3 reflections, 1 inversion, and 2 improper rotations, determined by the determinant and trace of the given matrix. We can take K to be the group of 3 rotations and 3 reflections, which is a Normal subgroup since it has index 2. We can take J to be the group $\{I,-I\}$, which is also Normal. So we can see that $K\approx D_3$, $J\approx \mathbb{Z}_2$, $K\cap J=\{I\}$ and $G=KJ$. Which by definition means that $G=K\times J\approx K\oplus J \approx D_3\oplus \mathbb{Z}_2$. Is this correct?

Part (b) seems very similar to part (a) but it's just slightly harder to find the determinant and trace.

I'm stuck on part (c). Not sure how to proceed. I think by "6-prism" they mean a hexagonal prism.

Attachments

• ElConquistador.jpg
    ElConquistador.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 62
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

You are correct in your analysis for part (a). The given matrix has 6 rotations (corresponding to the 6 vertices of a regular hexagon), 3 reflections (corresponding to the 3 axes passing through opposite vertices), 1 inversion (corresponding to the center of the hexagon), and 2 improper rotations (corresponding to the 2 diagonals of the hexagon). This yields a total of 12 symmetries, which form the dihedral group $D_6$.

For part (b), we can use the same approach but with a slightly different matrix. We can take the matrix to be:

$$
A=\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & -1
\end{pmatrix}
$$

This matrix has determinant -1 and trace -3, which correspond to the 3 rotations and 3 reflections of a cube. This yields the group $K\approx D_3$ as before, and we can take $J$ to be the group $\{I,-I\}$ as before. This yields the group $G\approx D_3\times \mathbb{Z}_2 \approx D_3\oplus \mathbb{Z}_2$.

For part (c), we can use a similar approach but with a different matrix. We can take the matrix to be:

$$
B=\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1 & 0 \\
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
$$

This matrix has determinant 1 and trace 1, which correspond to the 6 rotations and 1 inversion of a hexagonal prism. We can take $K$ to be the group of rotations, which is isomorphic to the cyclic group of order 6, and $J$ to be the group of reflections, which is isomorphic to the cyclic group of order 2. This yields the group $G\approx \mathbb{Z}_6\times \mathbb{Z}_2 \approx \mathbb{Z}_6\oplus \mathbb{Z}_2$, which is isomorphic to the group of symmetries of a hexagonal prism.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the symmetry group of a hexagonal prism?

The symmetry group of a hexagonal prism is a group of symmetries that preserve the geometric shape and orientation of the prism. It includes rotations, reflections, and translations that can be performed on the prism without changing its appearance.

2. How many symmetries are there in the symmetry group of a hexagonal prism?

There are 24 symmetries in the symmetry group of a hexagonal prism. This includes 6 rotations, 6 reflections, 6 glide reflections, and 6 inversion symmetries.

3. What are orthogonal matrices in relation to the symmetry group of a hexagonal prism?

Orthogonal matrices are square matrices that preserve lengths and angles, and therefore, preserve the symmetry of a hexagonal prism. They are used to define the rotations and reflections in the symmetry group.

4. How is the symmetry group of a hexagonal prism related to the symmetry group of a regular hexagon?

The symmetry group of a hexagonal prism is a direct product of the symmetry group of a regular hexagon and the symmetry group of a line segment. This means that the symmetries of a hexagonal prism can be broken down into the symmetries of a regular hexagon and a line segment.

5. What is the significance of the symmetry group of a hexagonal prism?

The symmetry group of a hexagonal prism has many applications in mathematics, physics, and materials science. It is used to study the symmetries of crystal structures, as well as in the design of symmetric objects and patterns. It also has important implications in the study of symmetry breaking and phase transitions.