The Tomorrow War with Chris Pratt - A Good B+ Movie

• Thread starter gleem
  • Start date
In summary, "The Tomorrow War" with Chris Pratt on Amazon Prime is a fusion between Independence Day and Terminator 2, with elements of Starship Troopers. It has a $200 million budget and features mediocre/lazy dialogue and cinematography. It may not be a major studio movie meant for theater release, but it works as a mindless action flick for those in the mood. However, it lacks a solid understanding of the sci-fi tropes it invokes and takes itself too seriously. There is talk of a sequel, but it is unclear if the film was a commercial success.
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Just finished watching "The Tomorrow War" with Chris Pratt on Amazon Prime. Kind of a fusion between Independence Day and Terminator 2 (maybe someone else can suggest a better comparison). Is would say it is a good B+. As usual one needs some super-heroics to fight a super enemy as well as scientific breakthroughs to save the world. And of course, you need a smattering of tears. Don't spoil it by reading the Wikipedia blurb.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd give it more like a C, but I was in the mood for an action flick, so ...

Likes russ_watters
phinds said:
I'd give it more like a C, but I was in the mood for an action flick, so ...
Really, not enough action?

gleem said:
Really, not enough action?
No, what I meant was I didn't think it was particularly good but I was in the mood for an action movie and it filled the bill

gleem said:
Just finished watching "The Tomorrow War" with Chris Pratt on Amazon Prime. Kind of a fusion between Independence Day and Terminator 2 (maybe someone else can suggest a better comparison).
Starship Troopers came to mind, especially the capturing the brain bug scene...and the whole, invading bugs from space idea.

I agree with @phinds -- it was just ok. I honestly didn't realize it was a major studio movie meant for theater release. I assumed it was an Amazon original until I looked it up. While the FX were good, it had a bit of a B-movie feel, with mediocre/lazy dialog and some cheap feeling cinematography. Often when two characters were chatting they depth-of-field blurred the background so all you could see was them. I assumed this was a low-budget movie trick to save on sets, but then I saw in the wiki that this movie had a $200M budget, so I guess that choice was made for a different reason. It's a bad choice. In a movie, you (the audience) should be able to look around and view the background in focus just like in real life.

But I felt like watching some mindless action last night and it did the job.

Last edited:
Likes phinds
russ_watters said:
But I felt like watching some mindless action last night and it did the job.
I'm very late to this, @russ_watters, but if you want mindless violence, 6 Underground fits the bill. It's also on Netflix and more thriller than sci-fi (though the tech deployed in the superyacht KISMET sequence is very future oriented), but it moves at hyperviolence pace. Or, if you're up for a series, Netflix's The Old Guard is good, though again, it's not a sci-fi movie.

As for The Tomorrow War, @gleem, I felt it was two stories smashed into one movie and both were poorly writ. The screenplay looks to only Zach Dean's third and I wondered how much sci-fi he's read (I can't find he's written any), because I felt it lacked a solid understanding of the two main tropes it invokes.

Tom Cruise's alien flicks, Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion, out act, out script, and out emote The Forever War, which seems to think big name stars can paper over a shaky concept. In that, it reminded me of Netflix's Extraction, where a huge name - Chris Hemsworth in that case - is wasted in a paint-by-numbers plot with so many holes in it that no matter how good an actor you hire, they can't help but fall down a few.

Sadly, The Tomorrow War also took itself way too seriously so there was no edge of sly humour that can save a dumb idea from disaster. Think Red Notice, which is pretty awful, but the actors are having such fun, you're mostly happy to go along with the gag.

It is hard to know if The Tomorrow War was a commercial success. Amazon claimed it was and there was talk of a sequel (🤷‍♂️) mid last year, though I can't immediately find more recent news, but Jeff's studio has sufficient cash to write off a few $200M movies because they support retaining Prime members, so not every one has to be profitable in its own right.

russ_watters said:
... then I saw in the wiki that this movie had a $200 budget,...
I assume this is a typo?

Likes Melbourne Guy
DaveC426913 said:
I assume this is a typo?
Million.

• Love
Likes Melbourne Guy
DaveC426913 said:
I assume this is a typo?
Just checking you're awake, @DaveC426913 😁 But didn't @russ_watters add the "M"??

• Informative
Likes Melbourne Guy

1. What is the plot of "The Tomorrow War"?

The movie follows the story of a group of soldiers who are sent into the future to fight a war against an alien species that threatens to wipe out humanity. Chris Pratt's character, Dan Forester, must find a way to save the future and his family.

2. Is "The Tomorrow War" based on a book or other source material?

No, "The Tomorrow War" is an original story written by Zach Dean and directed by Chris McKay.

3. How does the movie handle the concept of time travel?

The movie uses a concept called "jumping" where soldiers are sent to a specific point in the future to fight the war. The time travel aspect is not heavily focused on and is used more as a plot device.

4. Who else stars in "The Tomorrow War" besides Chris Pratt?

The movie also stars Yvonne Strahovski, J.K. Simmons, Betty Gilpin, and Sam Richardson.

5. Is "The Tomorrow War" a good movie?

This is subjective, but many viewers and critics have given the movie positive reviews, praising its action, visual effects, and emotional moments. However, some have criticized its predictable plot and lack of depth in characters. Overall, it can be considered a good B+ movie.