The word "won't" does not look logically formed

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary: So the -el in label comes from the Latin word for "little" and is a diminutive. A label is a little bit of a bigger thing. A syllable is a little bit of a word. So, "label" is a little bit of "bell" and "syllable" is a little bit of "word".In summary, the contraction "won't" remains a holdover from Old English and is believed to have been popularized by English language writers and playwrights. It is a shortened version of "will not" and its spelling may have been influenced by pronunciation. It is not to be confused with the word "wont", which means habit.
DaveC426913 said:
Heh. I like that. I'm going to start writing all my correspondence using British/Canadian spellings for lable, decible, reble and lible.
Once, while working in the U.S., I comment to a colleague that for some words, Canadians commonly use British spelling, while for other words, Canadians commonly use American spelling. Former, "colour"; latter, "tire". My colleague then asked "Do Canadians spell 'civilization' with an ess or a zee?" I replied "Canadians spell 'civilization' with a zed."

• Haha
Likes MathematicalPhysicist, DrClaude, Klystron and 1 other person
Science news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
There's a story told about a sign painter who was hired to paint a sign for the front of a bakery. The sign was to read "Pies and Cakes."
After working on the layout awhile, the painter asked the baker, "How much space should I leave between Pies and and and and and Cakes?"

Likes DrClaude
I hope the baker gave the answer in pie-cas.

Likes BillTre and sysprog
Very interesting. I had wondered about this too. Just figured it was something we borrowed but really had no idea other than that.