Theoretical Lattice Energy for MgF2

In summary: The equation gives approximately equal values to the actual lattice energies. Usually less. This is because the ionic crystals, however 'ionic' you might think of them, do have a degree of covalency. You can never have a perfectly ionic solid.
pollycampos

Homework Statement

Calculate the theoretical lattice energy for MgF2 (Born-Landé equation)

Ionic radius Mg+2 (coordination number 6) = 86 pm
Ionic radius F- (coordination number 3) = 116 pm
Madelung constant = 2.408
n = 7

Homework Equations

b0dedee27d206a607aa2c0343ad9608a.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having problems with this equation, because its result is very different from the experimental lattice enthalpy of MgF2 (-2962 kJ/mol), and it must be similar.
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4670/quiqui.jpg
What's wrong? Maybe the sum of ionic radius? (I added the Mg ionic radius plus 2 times F radius).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi pollycampos! :smile:

pollycampos said:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4670/quiqui.jpg
What's wrong? Maybe the sum of ionic radius? (I added the Mg ionic radius plus 2 times F radius).

Why add twice the fluorine radius? You need the nearest distance to the neighboring ion. What would you get, then?

So I added 86 + 116 = 202, and the result is:
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1336/quinooo.jpg
It's still kind of far away from the experimental result (-2962 kJ/mol), no? Or is this result right?
Thank you in advance, Infinitum :biggrin:

pollycampos said:
So I added 86 + 116 = 202, and the result is:
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1336/quinooo.jpg
It's still kind of far away from the experimental result (-2962 kJ/mol), no? Or is this result right?
Thank you in advance, Infinitum :biggrin:

Based on the given information, this answer looks correct. There might be errors in measuring the values that were given, and hence the discrepancy.

Thank you a lot, Infinitum :smile: The radius information was given by my teacher's book, so I guess it isn't wrong...:uhh: I thought the results should be very close, because MgF2 is a very ionic solid, no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born–Landé_equation#Calculated_lattice_energies

The equation gives approximately equal values to the actual lattice energies. Usually less. This is because the ionic crystals, however 'ionic' you might think of them, do have a degree of covalency. You can never have a perfectly ionic solid.

Edit : In MgF2, Mg has a +2 charge, which by Fajan's rules creates a greater degree of covalency. It also is quite small, even smaller than sodium so that leads to a greater deviation from ionic behavior.

Oh yes, I think I should write that in my homework :tongue: Is there another reason for the experimental value be different from the theoretical? I have to write 2 reasons.

pollycampos said:
Oh yes, I think I should write that in my homework :tongue: Is there another reason for the experimental value be different from the theoretical? I have to write 2 reasons.

Ruh-roh! I wouldn't have explained it that way if I knew you had to write reasons :tongue2:

Please note it is much easier to use LaTeX built into forums for such equations than to input them as images.

[tex]E=-\frac{N_A M z^+ z^- e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r_0}(1-\frac 1 n)[/tex]

Thank you, I didn't know how to use the LaTeX :tongue:

1. What is the theoretical lattice energy for MgF2?

The theoretical lattice energy for MgF2 is -2956 kJ/mol.

2. How is the theoretical lattice energy for MgF2 calculated?

The theoretical lattice energy for MgF2 is calculated using the Born-Haber cycle, which takes into account the ionization energy, electron affinity, and crystal lattice energy of the compound.

3. Why is the theoretical lattice energy for MgF2 important?

The theoretical lattice energy for MgF2 is important because it helps predict the stability and reactivity of the compound. It also provides insight into the strength of the ionic bonds between magnesium and fluorine atoms.

4. How does the theoretical lattice energy for MgF2 compare to other ionic compounds?

The theoretical lattice energy for MgF2 is relatively high compared to other ionic compounds. This is due to the small size of the magnesium cation and the high charge of the fluoride anion, which results in strong electrostatic attraction.

5. Can the theoretical lattice energy for MgF2 be measured experimentally?

Yes, the theoretical lattice energy for MgF2 can be measured experimentally using techniques such as X-ray diffraction or calorimetry. However, the experimental value may differ slightly from the theoretical value due to factors such as crystal imperfections and thermal effects.