Thermal expansion problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the pressure or gap between a bolt and nut that are made of different materials and are heated. The suggestion is made to make assumptions about the shape and expansion of the pieces, and to consult Wikipedia for equations and data on coefficient of thermal expansion. The conversation also mentions that the "expanding ring" problem is well covered in most structural mechanics engineering textbooks.
Dafe
Hey,
let's say I have a pipe with a fastener screwed into it.
If they are of different materials, how can I find out the pressure/gap between the bolt and nut if they are heated?
I don't expect a complete solution of course, just a couple of hints to get me going :)

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would first make the assumption they the two pieces are not thread and have simple smooth cylindrical surfaces and are cylindrical in shape. I would also make the assumption they the don't expand longitudinally but just radially.

Wikipedia has all the equations you need and data for popular materials. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_thermal_expansion

The "expanding ring" problem in which you essentially now have is well covered in most structural mechanics engineering textbooks. If the wikipedia site doesn't give you enough info, a descent text will.

Related to Thermal expansion problem

What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to increase in volume or size when its temperature increases. This is due to the particles in the matter gaining kinetic energy and moving farther apart, resulting in an overall increase in size.

Why do objects expand when heated?

When an object is heated, its particles gain kinetic energy and vibrate more, causing them to take up more space. This increase in volume leads to thermal expansion.

What materials are affected by thermal expansion?

All materials are affected by thermal expansion to some degree. However, materials with a higher coefficient of thermal expansion, such as metals and glass, will expand more than others.

How is thermal expansion measured?

Thermal expansion is typically measured using a coefficient of thermal expansion, which is a numerical value that represents the amount of expansion or contraction a material undergoes per degree change in temperature. This value can be determined experimentally or calculated using mathematical models.

What are some practical applications of thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion has several practical applications, such as in thermometers, thermostats, and bimetallic strips. It is also used in the construction of buildings and bridges to account for the expansion and contraction of materials due to temperature changes. Additionally, thermal expansion is a key concept in the production of electronic devices and the design of engines and other machinery.