Thermal radiation and charged particle acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the emission of thermal radiation from non-ionized neutral gases and the factors that contribute to it. The main question is whether this emission is solely due to electron transitions or if there are other mechanisms at play. It is mentioned that a large quantity of Xenon gas would be needed for significant emissivity in the infrared and that collisions with other atoms may cause dipolarization. The conversation also explores possible models for gas emission in the radio-wave regime, with the suggestion of considering hyperfine transitions. Ultimately, the participants are trying to determine the accuracy of their understanding of these processes.
Getterdog
A non ionized neutral gas should still emit thermal radiation.,say xenon. Is this solely because of electron transitions ? I ask this because a lot of sources attribute the emission to charge particle acceleration,so neutral atoms should not do this,is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Qualitatively, I think you could expect to require a tremendous quantity of Xenon gas before it had appreciable emissivity in the infrared. I can't supply any quantitative info, but I think your assessment is reasonably accurate. Perhaps in the process of a collision with other atoms, the atoms will be made somewhat dipolar. It would be interesting if anyone can supply some quantitative detail to the emissivity for thermal radiation in the non-ionized case.

I’m looking for a plausible model for a gas ,something that emits in the radio wave regime, As before all I could come up with for a warm mono atomic non ionized gas,was some sort or deformation of the electron cloud upon collision,with resultant relaxation. Some mechanism that doesn’t involve change of electron orbitals.just trying to see if this is accurate.

Getterdog said:
some sort or deformation of the electron cloud upon collision,with resultant relaxation
How don't see how this would lead to relaxation by emission of radiation.

If you want emission in the radio-wave part of the EM spectrum, you need to consider hyperfine transitions.

1. What is thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a body due to its temperature. It is also known as blackbody radiation.

2. How is thermal radiation related to charged particle acceleration?

Thermal radiation can be used to accelerate charged particles through a process called photoelectric effect. When photons from thermal radiation hit a material, they can knock electrons out of the material's atoms, resulting in a flow of charged particles.

3. What factors affect the intensity of thermal radiation?

The intensity of thermal radiation depends on the temperature of the emitting body and its surface area. The higher the temperature and larger the surface area, the more intense the thermal radiation will be.

4. How does the wavelength of thermal radiation change with temperature?

The wavelength of thermal radiation decreases as the temperature of the emitting body increases. This is because the hotter the body, the more energy its particles have, resulting in higher frequency and shorter wavelength radiation.

5. Can thermal radiation be harmful?

Yes, thermal radiation can be harmful if the intensity and duration of exposure are high. For example, prolonged exposure to thermal radiation from the sun can cause sunburns and skin cancer. It is important to protect yourself from excessive thermal radiation exposure.