Thermochemistry enthelpy change

In summary, the conversation is about determining the correct reaction for the conversion of CO to CO2 using the moles of CO and N2. The correct reaction is 2CO + O2 -> 2CO2, and the enthalpy change for this reaction is -20,000 kJ. The book's result is incorrect as this reaction is known to be exothermic. "Stoichiometric amounts of air" means having enough oxygen to completely convert all of the CO to CO2.
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
Calculate the standard enthalpy change occurring when 2.00 m^3 (measured at 0,0 C and 1 atm) of a mixture with v/v % composition of 80.0% CO and 20.0% N2 react with a stoichiometric amount of air.
Relevant Equations
thermochemistry
Can anyone explain how is this reaction ? I 've evaluated the moles of CO and N2 but now i can't see how is this reaction written
CO + N2 ...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: the only thing that reacts is CO.

Borek said:
Hint: the only thing that reacts is CO.
##2CO + O_{2(g)} -> 2CO_{2(g)} ## correct?
then I've found the moles of CO through ## n_{tot}= \frac {PV}{RT}=\frac {1atm * 2000L}{0,0821 \frac{atm*L}{mol*K}*273 K}##= 89.23 mol
Knowing that v/v%= ##\frac {n_i}{n_{tot}}*100##
##n_{CO}=\frac {80,0}{100}*89,23 mol##= 71,38 mol
##\Delta H°_{f\text{ }CO_2}= -393,5 \frac{KJ}{mol}##
##\Delta H°_{f\text{ CO}}= -110,5 \frac{KJ}{mol}##

##\Delta H°_r= 2*-393,5 \frac{KJ}{mol}+2* -110,5 \frac{KJ}{mol}##=-566 ##\frac{KJ}{mol}##

By proportion :
##\Delta H°_r= \frac {71,38\frac{KJ}{mol}}{2}*-566\text{ mol}##= ##-20*10^3\text { KJ}##

Is all this correct?
Why in the book the result is positive? how is this possible?
Could you please explain what should i think when i see "stoichiometric amounts of air"?

Stoichiometric amounts of air just means that you have sufficient oxygen to completely convert all of the CO to CO2.
Book seems to be wrong as this reaction is known to be exothermic.

Likes DottZakapa
chemisttree said:
Stoichiometric amounts of air just means that you have sufficient oxygen to completely convert all of the CO to CO2.
Book seems to be wrong as this reaction is known to be exothermic.
thanks

1. What is thermochemistry enthalpy change?

Thermochemistry enthalpy change is the measure of the heat energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical change.

2. How is enthalpy change calculated?

Enthalpy change is calculated by subtracting the enthalpy of the reactants from the enthalpy of the products.

3. What is the difference between exothermic and endothermic reactions?

In an exothermic reaction, heat energy is released and the enthalpy change is negative. In an endothermic reaction, heat energy is absorbed and the enthalpy change is positive.

4. How does enthalpy change affect the spontaneity of a reaction?

An exothermic reaction with a negative enthalpy change is more likely to be spontaneous, while an endothermic reaction with a positive enthalpy change is less likely to be spontaneous.

5. Can enthalpy change be measured experimentally?

Yes, enthalpy change can be measured experimentally using a calorimeter to measure the heat released or absorbed during a reaction.