Thermodynamics: The Jet Engine

In summary: the air flowing through the engine (the fan), a by-pass engine is more efficient because the fan is able to turn faster.
TheBusFlyer
Good evening everyone,I had several questions regarding basic thermodynamics. After going to Paris Airshow (Le Bourget), lot's of questions came to my mind after looking at those beautiful Jet engines...I have always had a very basic understanding on these engines: a fan, a compressor (High and Low Pressure), a combustor and finally turbines (that will then turn a shaft which is connected with the compressors and the fan). Thrust is produced and explained using Newton's third law of motion. However lot of questions came as I read about the new CFM LEAP engine: high by pass ratio, state of the art jet engines.First let's start by some basic questions:

1) What are target values we need to get at exhaust regarding temperature, pressure and velocity for a jet engine? So much happens inside the jet engine that it completely confuses me...pressure goes up in the compressor, then stays constant in the combustor to finally decrease inside the turbines. So what was the point to increase it? Well...lot of strange and basic questions for all of you I suppose! So my first question is just to get familiar with some approximate target values (Temp/Pressure/Velocity) at engine exhaust to produce thrust! What are we really aiming for?

2) Let's talk about the compressor...why do we compress air? Inside the compressor, temperature and pressure increase. However velocity decreases...but how do we decrease the air's velocity? I had also read compressor helps to push the air towards the exhaust (so that air does not start flowing in the opposite direction). Any information on that as well?

3) Why do we compress air and increase it's pressure? What would happen if I would send non compressed air inside the combustors? Why does combustor efficiency increase when air is compressed?

4) In the combustors, I am really not able to understand how Pressure is kept constant...adding fuel adds energy so does it not increase the pressure?

5) Now, this gas ' gives ´ lot of energy to the turbines so that it turns the shaft and therefore turns the compressors and the fan. Is this the reason why pressure drops in the turbines?

6) Is it not better to have air at very high pressure during exhaust to get more thrust? In all diagrams I see, pressure simply drops in the turbines. Exhaust pressure is nearly the same as pressure in the inlet...

7) Does anyone have a formula that shows me that we need to increase airspeed inside the engines to produce more thrust? For example, for lift, we have L = 1/2pV^2SCz. We can immediately see that if I increase Velocity, lift increases. Something similar for engines?

8) Now comes the real question: why is a by pass Engine much more efficient? The only thing which is happening is that air is accelerated...but at a much higher rate than it would be after coming out from the turbines right? How is air being accelerated? The fan? The engine's shape?

9) How can a by pass Engine be more fuel efficient? Now less air is going inside the combustors but we need the fan to turn at the same rpm as before. In an older jet engine (no by pass), we would simply increase fuel to increase fan's rpm. So how do we make the fan turn at a high rpm in a high by pass Engine? Does it consume more fuel?

10) Finally, in a by pass Engine, does the by passed air produce more thrust or is it the fan itself (like a propeller, it increases airflow...just like an airfoil)? Both? Is the Newton's third law still applicable for this by passed air?

Sorry for these basic questions, I only have a very basic understanding on this subject. Please don't hesitate to explain using formulas, it really might help me :)Again sorry for all these questions,Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
PF rules normally limit us to one question per thread.

It sounds like you want a whole tutorial on jet engines. Instead of asking questions, may I suggest that you begin with Wikipedia or YouTube. Search for jet engines or turbojet engines, then turbofan engines.

After that, if you have a more specific question, post it on PF.

No worries anorlunda, thanks for your answer.

Anyway, if anyone could answer questions 8-9-10 (cause it's only one question I separated to make it easier for me), it would really be awesome :)

However I have read a lot, watched on YouTube, got myself a Rolls Royce The Jet Engine book...but I still find difficult to get it.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbofan said:
Since the efficiency of propulsion is a function of the relative airspeed of the exhaust to the surrounding air, propellers are most efficient for low speed, pure jets for high speeds, and ducted fans in the middle. Turbofans are thus the most efficient engines in the range of speeds from about 500 to 1,000 km/h (310 to 620 mph), the speed at which most commercial aircraft operate.[8][9] Turbofans retain an efficiency edge over pure jets at low supersonic speeds up to roughly Mach 1.6.

Is that the answer you seek?

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformation from one form to another, particularly in relation to heat and work.

How does a jet engine work?

A jet engine works by taking in air through an intake, compressing it, mixing it with fuel, and igniting it in a combustion chamber. The hot exhaust gases then expand through a turbine, which powers the compressor and the jet's fan, propelling the aircraft forward.

What are the three laws of thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy, or disorder, of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero temperature, or a state of complete order, through any finite number of steps.

What is the Carnot cycle and its significance in jet engine design?

The Carnot cycle is a theoretical cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat into work. It is important in jet engine design because it helps engineers determine the maximum possible efficiency of a jet engine and make improvements to increase its efficiency.

What are some challenges in applying thermodynamics to jet engine design?

Some challenges in applying thermodynamics to jet engine design include managing high temperatures and pressures, reducing energy losses, and optimizing the engine's performance at different altitudes and speeds. Additionally, the complex and dynamic nature of jet engines makes it difficult to accurately model and predict their behavior under various conditions.