Thermodynamics-Two Insulated Tank System

In summary: KH-PV=Gas Pressure at 1 bar and 300KTherefore...Final temperature in Tank 1 will be higher than Final temperature in Tank 2
mpn17

Homework Statement

Two large, well-insulated tanks of 2m diameter and 5m in height are filled with air. One tank is initially at 1bar and 300oK and the other is at 10bar at 300oK. Determine the final temperature in both tanks if a valve connecting the two tanks is opened and the mass equalized (mf1=mf2) very quickly then closed again. Assume the enthalpy of the inlet and exit air for each tank is constant at 300.19kJ/kg. (Hint: One tank is ~198oK higher than the other after the valve shuts)

Homework Equations

PV=mRT
H=U+PV=U+RT

The Attempt at a Solution

I've used PV=mRT for both tanks to find the mass in tank 1 is 18.24kg while the mass in tank 2 is 182.4 kg. This gives a collective mass of 200.64kg. As stated in the problem statement the final mass in both tanks is equal which would then be 100.32 kg. From there I am not quite sure how to incorporate enthalpy into finding the final temperature in each tank?

Physics news on Phys.org
mpn17 said:

Homework Statement

Two large, well-insulated tanks of 2m diameter and 5m in height are filled with air. One tank is initially at 1bar and 300oK and the other is at 10bar at 300oK. Determine the final temperature in both tanks if a valve connecting the two tanks is opened and the mass equalized (mf1=mf2) very quickly then closed again. Assume the enthalpy of the inlet and exit air for each tank is constant at 300.19kJ/kg. (Hint: One tank is ~198oK higher than the other after the valve shuts)

Homework Equations

PV=mRT
H=U+PV=U+RT

The Attempt at a Solution

I've used PV=mRT for both tanks to find the mass in tank 1 is 18.24kg while the mass in tank 2 is 182.4 kg. This gives a collective mass of 200.64kg. As stated in the problem statement the final mass in both tanks is equal which would then be 100.32 kg. From there I am not quite sure how to incorporate enthalpy into finding the final temperature in each tank?

(1) It is not the mass, but the pressure in both tanks that will be equal at the end of the operation. Remember that the temperature will be different in each of the tanks.

(2) I cannot see how to do this calculation without assuming that air is (to a good approximation) made up of diatomic molecules, and introducing the heat capacity equation.

my professor mentioned being able to obtain the mass flow rate from the problem statement and then using an energy balance to then find the final temperature in each tank. He also said the pressure is not equal in both tanks.

mpn17 said:
my professor mentioned being able to obtain the mass flow rate from the problem statement and then using an energy balance to then find the final temperature in each tank. He also said the pressure is not equal in both tanks.

An interesting idea, and I am not convinced that it is a correct one. A pressure difference is a plausible driving force for transfer of material to equalize pressures while the tap is open; a mass difference is not.

H=U+PV
Given P,V,H
U only depends on the temperature assuming Ideal Gas Model
U=Cv(T2-T1)
((H-PV)/Cv)+T1=T2
Cv=Specific Temp of air (volume)

Related to Thermodynamics-Two Insulated Tank System

1. What is a two insulated tank system in thermodynamics?

A two insulated tank system is a setup in which two tanks, often referred to as Tank A and Tank B, are connected by a pipe. The tanks are insulated, meaning that heat cannot pass through the walls. This system is commonly used in thermodynamics to study the transfer of heat and work.

2. How does heat transfer occur in a two insulated tank system?

In a two insulated tank system, heat transfer occurs through the pipe connecting Tank A and Tank B. Heat will flow from the hotter tank to the cooler tank until they reach thermal equilibrium, meaning they are at the same temperature. This transfer of heat is governed by the laws of thermodynamics.

3. What is the purpose of using a two insulated tank system in thermodynamics experiments?

The purpose of using a two insulated tank system in thermodynamics experiments is to study the transfer of heat and work in a controlled environment. The insulated tanks ensure that heat is not lost to the surroundings, allowing for accurate measurements and analysis of thermodynamic processes.

4. How is the energy balance equation used in a two insulated tank system?

The energy balance equation, also known as the first law of thermodynamics, is used in a two insulated tank system to calculate the change in energy of the system. This equation states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

5. What are some real-life applications of a two insulated tank system in thermodynamics?

A two insulated tank system has various real-life applications, including refrigeration systems, heat engines, and power plants. These systems use the principles of thermodynamics to transfer heat and work to perform tasks such as cooling, generating electricity, and powering machinery.