Thin Film Interfaces Textbook Needed

In summary, if you are looking for a recently published comprehensive textbook on thin film interfaces, I would recommend checking out "Thin Film Interfaces" by John L. Vossen and William Kern or "Thin Film Materials: Stress, Defect Formation and Surface Evolution" by L. B. Freund and S. Suresh. Both books have been published in 2019 and have received positive reviews from experts in the field. They are also reasonably priced compared to other textbooks on this topic.
Champ Summers
Summary: TL;DNR Looking for a recently published comprehensive textbook on thin film interfaces

I am in the market for a comprehensive textbook on thin film interfaces that is available for a cheap price. I found Interfaces in Crystalline Materials by A.P. Sutton and R.W. Balluffi but the most recent edition is from 2007, it is an expensive print, and I have no idea how positive it was received after publication.

Also, I am having trouble finding which books are popular on this topic, so to surmise, if anyone knows of a textbook on thin film interfaces that is (1) recently published (2) relatively cheap (3) popular in the field please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your inquiry about a recently published comprehensive textbook on thin film interfaces. As a scientist in this field, I would recommend checking out the book "Thin Film Interfaces" by John L. Vossen and William Kern. It was published in 2019 and has received positive reviews from experts in the field. It is also reasonably priced compared to other textbooks on this topic.

Another option is "Thin Film Materials: Stress, Defect Formation and Surface Evolution" by L. B. Freund and S. Suresh, published in 2019 as well. This book covers a wide range of topics related to thin film interfaces and has been well-received by the scientific community.

I hope this helps in your search for a suitable textbook. Both of these suggestions meet your criteria of being recently published, relatively cheap, and popular in the field. Happy reading!

1. What is a thin film interface?

A thin film interface is the boundary between two materials where one material is in the form of a thin film. It is typically a few nanometers to micrometers thick and can have a significant impact on the properties and behavior of the materials involved.

2. Why is a textbook specifically on thin film interfaces needed?

A textbook on thin film interfaces is needed because this topic is a specialized area of study within materials science and engineering. It covers a wide range of concepts, techniques, and applications that are not typically covered in general materials science textbooks.

3. What topics are typically covered in a thin film interfaces textbook?

A thin film interfaces textbook may cover topics such as surface and interface characterization techniques, surface energy and wetting, adhesion and bonding, interfacial reactions, thin film growth and deposition methods, and applications of thin film interfaces in various industries.

4. Who would benefit from using a thin film interfaces textbook?

Students and researchers in the fields of materials science, engineering, physics, and chemistry would benefit from using a thin film interfaces textbook. It may also be useful for professionals in industries that utilize thin film technologies, such as semiconductor, optics, and coatings industries.

5. Are there any notable advancements or developments in thin film interfaces that are covered in textbooks?

Yes, there have been significant advancements in the understanding and manipulation of thin film interfaces in recent years. These include the development of new characterization techniques, the discovery of novel interfacial phenomena, and the application of thin film interfaces in emerging technologies such as flexible electronics and energy storage devices.