This suggests that both H and K are normal subgroups of L. What am I missing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the group of matrices L and its subgroups H and K, and the question of whether one of them is a normal subgroup of L. It is shown that K is a normal subgroup of L, while H is not. The conversation also mentions a possible misconception about the matrix multiplication, but it is clarified that the lower triangular matrix obtained from multiplying L by K is not the same as the one obtained from multiplying L by H. Further clarification is requested on this matter.
11hannab
Question about matrix groups and conjugate subgroups?

This question concerns the group of matrices
L = { (a 0)
(c d) : a,c,d ∈ R, ad =/ 0}
under matrix multiplication, and its subgroups
H = { (p 0, (p - q) q) : p,q ∈ R, pq =/ 0} and K = { (1 0, r 1) : r ∈ R}Show that one of H and K is a normal subgroup of L and that the other is not.

Any pointers would be fantastic! Struggling and is from a previous assignment but just can't seem to figure this out?!
I understand that klk^-1 gives a lower triangular matric similar to L. Which would be this is a subgroup of L

But when i multiply together lhl-1 is seem to also get a lower traingular matrix?

Any pointer to where i am going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that for every $a$, $c$ and $d$ and for every $r$ there exists an $r'$ such that
\[
\begin{pmatrix}a&0\\c&d\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}1&0\\r&1\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1&0\\r'&1\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}a&0\\c&d\end{pmatrix}
\]

Related to This suggests that both H and K are normal subgroups of L. What am I missing?

1. What are matrix groups?

Matrix groups are mathematical structures that consist of a set of matrices with certain properties. These properties include closed under multiplication, associativity, existence of identity element, and existence of inverse element.

2. What is the significance of conjugate in matrix groups?

In matrix groups, conjugation refers to the operation of transforming a matrix A to its conjugate form B = PAP-1, where P is an invertible matrix. Conjugation preserves the structure and properties of the original matrix, making it useful in studying and manipulating matrix groups.

3. How do you determine if two matrices are conjugate?

Two matrices A and B are conjugate if there exists an invertible matrix P such that B = PAP-1. In other words, if one matrix can be transformed into the other through conjugation, then they are conjugate.

4. Can a non-invertible matrix be conjugate to an invertible matrix?

No, a non-invertible matrix cannot be conjugate to an invertible matrix. This is because the inverse of an invertible matrix is unique, and a non-invertible matrix does not have an inverse.

5. How are conjugate matrices related to similarity?

Conjugate matrices are a special case of similar matrices, where the similarity transformation is done using an invertible matrix. Similar matrices have the same eigenvalues and determinant, while conjugate matrices have the same eigenvalues, determinant, and trace.