Thoughts balloon rocket launch

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using weather balloons to launch rockets from high altitudes to save on fuel. It is suggested that this concept has already been explored and some systems have successfully used air launches. However, there may be potential for collaboration in the UK to further develop this idea.
wolfspirit
I have been thinking, weather balloons can go quite high (some up to 1000ft) so would it be possible to take 4 or 5 weather balloons and attach them to the corners of a frame. in the centre of the frame would be a rocket ready to launch at a set altitude. the only problem i can think of is would it be too cold for liquid flue to ignite at that altitude (so maybe solid flue?) any way what are your thoughts. if this idea has any merit then are there any people in the UK who would like to collaborate to get it off the ground so to speck?

Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
i did have a little look on the net but i came up empty
thans
Ryan

Launching from altitude saves on total fuel required to reach orbit. Balloons can go much higher than you indicate. But so far, taking an airplane ride for an air launch seems a better idea. A few systems have done that. They can be placed with more precision and they can impart an initial velocity in approximately the right direction.

, thank you for sharing your idea with me. It is always exciting to see people thinking creatively and trying to push the boundaries of what is possible. Your thought balloon rocket launch idea is certainly interesting, and I can see some potential in it. However, there are a few factors that need to be considered before determining its feasibility.

Firstly, launching a rocket from a high altitude can be beneficial as it reduces the amount of fuel needed to overcome Earth's gravity. However, the temperature at higher altitudes can be a major challenge for rocket launches. At high altitudes, the air is thinner and therefore less effective at dissipating heat. This means that the rocket and its components could overheat, potentially causing damage or failure. So, while using solid fuel may be an option, it would also need to be carefully designed to withstand the cold temperatures and potential heat build-up during launch.

Another factor to consider is the weight and stability of the frame and attached weather balloons. Balloons can provide lift, but they can also be affected by wind and other weather conditions. It would be crucial to carefully calculate and design the frame and balloon setup to ensure stability and prevent any accidents during launch.

Additionally, there are strict regulations and safety measures in place for rocket launches, especially in highly populated areas like the UK. It would be important to consult with local authorities and experts to ensure that all necessary permits and safety protocols are followed.

Overall, I believe your idea has potential, but it would require further research, testing, and collaboration with experts in the field of rocket launches and high-altitude balloon launches. I recommend reaching out to universities or organizations with experience in this area to explore the feasibility of your idea further. Best of luck with your endeavors.

Related to Thoughts balloon rocket launch

1. What is a thoughts balloon rocket launch?

A thoughts balloon rocket launch is a scientific experiment that demonstrates principles of propulsion and aerodynamics. It involves using a balloon to power a small rocket and launch it into the air.

2. How does a thoughts balloon rocket launch work?

The balloon is filled with air and attached to a launcher, which is a narrow tube with a small hole at the end. When the balloon is released, the air rushes out of the hole, creating thrust that propels the rocket forward.

3. What materials are needed for a thoughts balloon rocket launch?

The materials needed for a thoughts balloon rocket launch include a balloon, a small plastic rocket, a narrow tube or straw, tape, and a flat surface to launch from. Optional materials could include markers or stickers to decorate the rocket.

4. What scientific concepts can be learned from a thoughts balloon rocket launch?

A thoughts balloon rocket launch can teach concepts such as Newton's Third Law of Motion (for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction), aerodynamics, and the importance of thrust and air resistance in propulsion.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when doing a thoughts balloon rocket launch?

Yes, it is important to launch the rocket in an open and outdoor space away from people, animals, and buildings. Also, make sure to use a small and lightweight rocket to minimize any potential hazards. Adult supervision is recommended for younger children.