Three big questions about Gravity, Cold and Magnets

In summary: the natural and more organized process of crystallization is more likely to occur when the temperature is low enough that it does not interfere with the process.
cubby208
Hey, So I am a sophomore in high school and have never taken a physics class before (it hasn't been offered) but I look forward too taking one.

I got really thoughtful today and came up with three questions.

1. Gravity... is it energy? And is it infinite? I mean we harness gravities energy in things like water turbines. Gravity makes the water move and turbines turn it into electricity. What does this mean?

2. Is cold really the absence of energy? Can it be harnessed? The reason I ask is their is some sort of theory I heard and i might be terribly simplifying but basically "everything moves to a state of chaos without the input of energy". Now I know cold means particles are not moving as much but could that only be a lack in kinetic energy? For example cold moves water which is in a turbulent state into a more organized crystalline structure. Now I know hydrogen bonds cause the crystal structure but it that all the energy that goes into making that happen?

3. Are magnets infinite energy. I mean they seem pretty long lasting to me and push away other things in a kinetic form... What is this? If we somehow managed to get two massive focused magnets and force them into each other to the point where they were touching... could we harness energy from that? Specifically the magnetic resistance?

Thanks so much for reading! Pardon my stupidity and lack of lingo/vocab on these things.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey also. Which AP physics has to do with laws of motion and collision. I am interested especially in these fields because it would be fun to be a physics programmer.

Welcome to PF!

#1 and #3 are the same. Magnetism and gravity are forces (or fields of forces). Force isn't energy. A book sitting on a table has forces applied to it by gravity and by the table, but it doesn't get hot because there is no energy expenditure. You can generate energy by moving (force and distance) through one of those fields. A hydroelectric turbine works when water falls -- but then something has to move the water back up to the top of the dam or it will stop. Think about what might do that.

For #2, yes, "cold" is a relative absence of thermal energy. All thermodynamic processes use a "hot" reservoir and a "cold" reservoir, and harness the heat energy flowing between them (not unlike the hydroelectric dam does for gravitational potential energy).

cubby208 said:
For example cold moves water which is in a turbulent state into a more organized crystalline structure. Now I know hydrogen bonds cause the crystal structure but it that all the energy that goes into making that happe

Cold does not move anything. Coldness is a state of relative lower energy as indicated by temperature. This reduced energy condition may allow other process to occur. since excess energy may produce forces that interfere with those processes. For example as you noted the crystallization of water cannot fundamentally occur above some critical temperature and pressure because the crystallization process is being dismantled so to speak by stronger external forces. imagine trying to assemble something while your hands are shaking.

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that attracts objects with mass towards each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating off into space. Gravity works by creating a curvature in the fabric of space-time, which causes objects to move towards each other.

2. Why do objects feel cold or hot?

The feeling of cold or hot is actually the sensation of heat transfer between objects. Objects with higher temperatures have more heat energy and will transfer that energy to objects with lower temperatures, making them feel warmer. The opposite is also true - objects with lower temperatures will absorb heat energy from objects with higher temperatures, making them feel colder.

3. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field, which is a force that attracts or repels certain materials, such as iron or nickel. This field is created by the alignment of the particles in the magnet, which creates a north and south pole. Opposite poles attract each other, while like poles repel each other.

4. Can gravity, cold, and magnets be explained by the same principles?

While gravity, cold, and magnets all involve the movement of particles and the transfer of energy, they are each governed by different principles. Gravity is a fundamental force of nature, while cold and magnets are both a result of the interactions between particles at the atomic level.

5. How do scientists study gravity, cold, and magnets?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study gravity, cold, and magnets, including experiments, mathematical models, and observations. They also use advanced technology, such as accelerometers for studying gravity, thermometers for measuring temperature, and magnetometers for detecting magnetic fields. By combining these methods, scientists are able to gain a better understanding of the underlying principles behind these phenomena.