Three vehicles turn left and right

• Thread starter robax25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vehicles
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to calculate the number of possible combinations for a certain scenario involving vehicles making turns. The first method involves using combinations, while the second method expands the expression (1+1)^3 to get the answer. The second method can also be applied to any number of cars.
robax25
Homework Statement
consider an Experiment in which each of three vehicles taking a particular freeway exit turns left or right at the end of the exit ramp. The eight possible outcomes are posible. my question is that How to calculate 8 possible outcomes?
Relevant Equations
permutation p =nPr
combination C = nCr
I did combination like
3C2=3 here 3 means three vehicles. 2 means both turns left
3C2=3 here 3 means three vehicles. 2 means both turns right
3C3=1 3 means all are left.
3C3=1 3 means all are right.

My question is that is there another way that helps to get the answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could just do there are 2 ways for the first vehicle to turn * 2 ways for the second vehicle to turn * 2 ways for the third vehicle to turn = 8 possibilities

Likes pbuk
robax25 said:
I did combination like
3C2=3 here 3 means three vehicles. 2 means both turns left
3C2=3 here 3 means three vehicles. 2 means both turns right
3C3=1 3 means all are left.
3C3=1 3 means all are right.

My question is that is there another way that helps to get the answer?
You are really calculating (1+1)^3 by first expanding it as (1+1)(1+1)(1+1) = 1 + (3*1) + (3*1) + 1` = 8.
This will be valid for any number of cars, see Binomial Theorem Wikipedia

What is the concept of "Three vehicles turn left and right"?

The concept of "Three vehicles turn left and right" refers to a scenario where three vehicles are approaching an intersection and need to make turns in different directions.

What factors affect the decision-making process of the drivers in this scenario?

The decision-making process of the drivers in this scenario is affected by factors such as traffic signals, road conditions, visibility, and the actions of other drivers.

How does the speed of each vehicle impact the safety of the turn?

The speed of each vehicle can greatly impact the safety of the turn. If a vehicle is traveling too fast, it may have difficulty making the turn safely and could potentially cause an accident.

What safety precautions should be taken by the drivers in this scenario?

The drivers in this scenario should follow all traffic laws and signals, use turn signals to indicate their intended direction, and maintain a safe speed and distance from other vehicles.

What are some potential outcomes of this scenario?

The potential outcomes of this scenario include successful turns by all three vehicles, collisions between vehicles, or one or more vehicles having to yield or change their intended direction due to traffic or other factors.