Time dependent electric force at large distance

In summary: I need help integrating.In summary, the two particles are at large distances and the force between them is non-constant. However, the equation needs to be time dependent to account for the distance between the two objects. The derivative of r is C/(r|r|), and in order to solve for the distance between the two objects, d, you need to integrate a twice.
Shintao
I need some help with time dependent equations. I have two electrically charged particles in space that are at large distances. How would I write a time dependent equation to simulate there positions at give times. I know there initial positions and there initial velocities. And for simplicity one object is unmovable. This is what I have:

[tex]f = \frac{kq_{1}q_{2}}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]a = \frac{f}{m}[/tex]

[tex]x = x_{0} + v_{0}t + \frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]

But, the force between the two objects is non-constant because as they get closer to each other force increases rapidly. So do I use the yank instead of force. But, that creates the problem of making the equation distance dependent. I don't need the force at given distances. I need the force a given times based on distances.

for those that know C++:

f = cos(atan2(particle2.y - particle1.y, particle2.x - particle1.x)) * COULOMB_CONSTANT * -particle2.charge * particle1.charge / (_hypot(particle2.y - particle1.y, particle2.x - particle1.x));

a = f / particle1.mass;

x = particle1.initial_x + particle1.initial_velocity.x * time + a * pow(time, 2) / 2;

It seems to me that the force should be time dependent because the distance between the two particles is time dependent. I need some calculus help. I think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shintao said:
[tex]x = x_{0} + v_{0}t + \frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]
First off, this equation does not apply. This is not a general equation, but rather an equation that is only valid for the special case of constant acceleration. And of course, in your situation you already know that the force is not constant.

Shintao said:
How would I write a time dependent equation to simulate there positions at give times. I know there initial positions and there initial velocities. And for simplicity one object is unmovable. This is what I have:

[tex]f = \frac{kq_{1}q_{2}}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]a = \frac{f}{m}[/tex]
Here you are dealing with electrical forces, but do you know of any other forces with the same form for their equation? If so, do you know the solution for that equation?

By the way, I don't know your level of math, but this is a vector differential equation that would probably be covered after 3 semesters of calculus or more.

r'' = C/(r |r|)

If you don't know how to solve that, then you are going to have to look up the solution somewhere else.

I looked up differiental equations. When you say vector differiental equation, are you referring to the fact that I have to break the force into its three respective vectors(x, y, z). If that is what you mean, I understand how to pull apart the force vector into the respective parts.

[tex]r'' = \frac{C}{r|r|}[/tex]

I need some help breaking this down. Correct me if I'm wrong. 2nd derivative of r = C/(r|r|). What does C stand for? And wouldn't r have to relate to time and position?

Shintao said:
I looked up differiental equations. When you say vector differiental equation, are you referring to the fact that I have to break the force into its three respective vectors(x, y, z). If that is what you mean, I understand how to pull apart the force vector into the respective parts.

[tex]r'' = \frac{C}{r|r|}[/tex]

I need some help breaking this down. Correct me if I'm wrong. 2nd derivative of r = C/(r|r|). What does C stand for? And wouldn't r have to relate to time and position?
C is just a constant. In this case C = k q1 q2/m1. But if you were dealing with gravity then C = G m1 m2/m1

I should have been more explicit r is actually r(t) = (x(t),y(t),z(t)), a vector function of time indicating the position at a time t.

Last edited:
I get what you are saying. U were just short-hand writting with C in the equation. If I can figure this out it should relate to most of the inverse-squared laws in physics.

r is the three dimensional displacement of the object(electron, e) or the stationary object(proton, p)

For simpicity I just want to use 2 dimensions(x, y)
I start with time(t) = 0;
d = distance between e and p
m = slope
C = k * q1 * q2

[tex]d = \sqrt{(e_{x} - p_{x})^2 + (e_{y} - p_{y})^2}[/tex]

[tex]m = \frac{e_{y} - p_{y}}{e_{x} - p_{x}}[/tex]

[tex]F_{x} = \cos{(\arctan{(m))} * \frac{C}{d^2}}[/tex]

[tex]a = \frac{F}{m}}[/tex]

Then integrate a twice for t to get the new position along the x axis. Then do the same for the y axis. Then start over with the new position. But, since position is related to the distance between the two objects how do I write a continuous equation for the distance between the two objects. d is what I don't know how to do continously.

Related to Time dependent electric force at large distance

1. What is a time dependent electric force at large distance?

A time dependent electric force at large distance is the force between two charged particles that changes over time and is measured at a significant distance between the particles. This force follows the principles of electromagnetism and can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the charges of the particles.

2. How is the magnitude of a time dependent electric force at large distance calculated?

The magnitude of a time dependent electric force at large distance can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Can a time dependent electric force at large distance exist between neutral particles?

No, a time dependent electric force at large distance can only exist between charged particles. Neutral particles do not have a net charge and therefore do not experience electric forces.

4. How does the time dependence of the electric force affect its strength?

The time dependence of the electric force can affect its strength in two ways. First, the force can vary in magnitude over time, becoming stronger or weaker depending on the charges and their positions. Second, the force can also change direction over time, resulting in a net change in the particles' motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of time dependent electric forces at large distances?

Time dependent electric forces at large distances have numerous applications in various fields, including electronics, telecommunications, and astronomy. Examples include the electric forces between charged particles in a circuit, the transmission of signals through radio waves, and the interactions between charged particles in space.