Time Derivatives: Hi Guys, Am I on the Right Track?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's concern about their understanding of time derivatives and their request for clarification on a notation in an attached image. The other person confirms that the expression in the image is correct but suggests using a simple equals sign rather than an arrow.
Mishal0488
Hi Guys

I just want to make sure that I am on the right track, with regards to time derivatives.
I have been out of university for many years and I have become a bit rusty.

Please refer to the attached image and let me know if I am on the right track.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 71
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear from your notation what you are trying to say. Is ##\theta## a function of time?

Both theta and "a" are a function of time

Mishal0488 said:
Both theta and "a" are a function of time
The expression looks right (it's hard to see the dots). But, you should use a simple equals sign ##=##, rather than ##\Rightarrow##.

Likes vanhees71 and Mishal0488

1. What is a time derivative?

A time derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a quantity with respect to time. It is denoted by a dot above the variable, such as ˙x.

2. How is a time derivative calculated?

A time derivative is calculated by taking the limit of the change in the quantity divided by the change in time, as the change in time approaches zero. This is known as the derivative formula: ˙x = lim(Δx/Δt).

3. What is the purpose of using time derivatives?

Time derivatives are used to describe the behavior of a system over time. They help us understand how a quantity changes over time and can be used to predict future values.

4. What are some common applications of time derivatives?

Time derivatives are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to describe the motion of objects, the growth of populations, the change in stock prices, and many other phenomena.

5. How can I check if I am using time derivatives correctly?

The best way to check if you are using time derivatives correctly is to double check your calculations and make sure they align with the derivative formula. It is also helpful to compare your results to real-world data or other known solutions to confirm their accuracy.