How Many Years to Test Every Combination of a 15-Piece Molecular Puzzle?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the number of possible combinations for an 'artificial symbiote' made up of 15 molecular pieces. The author in a sci-fi book claimed there were millions of possibilities, but the actual number is over 437 quadrillion. The discrepancy is due to the calculation being 15! instead of 15^15. The conversation also touches on the concept of factorial and its applications in combinatorics.
SteveH66
I am not sure if this is the right sub-forum to post this question in or not, if not I appologize for posting in the wrong place - it looked like the most likely forum to be the correct one.

In a sci-fi book I was reading, the author talked about an 'artificial symbiote' being created by 15 molecular pieces aligned correctly, which had been stolen from the villians. He said the possible combinations were in the millions, and that if you tested one combination per second, it would take over 4,000 years. This has been nagging at me for quite a while, I did what I thought was the proper calculation to find this out, to check his figures and I come up with much different numbers. So I was wondering if someone could tell me if I am not calculating this correctly.

First, I decided you would have to calculate 15 to the 15th power, 15^15, to get the number of possible combinations. When I do this, I get over 437 Quadrillion possible combinations 437,893,890,380,859,000. Next I calculated the number of seconds in a year, I got 31,536,000. Then I divided the number of calculations by the number of seconds in a year. Instead of 4,000 I got 13,885,524,174.94

13 billion is a lot different than 4,000 so I am puzzled. Am I calculating this wrong, or is the author? Thanks for any light you can shine on this problem for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The description is a little vague.
One possible interpretation. 15 items to be placed in proper order. The number of possibilities is 15! = 1307674368000. This leads to 41000 years.

Likes 1 person
Do we know how the molecular pieces are chosen to be aligned?

If they must be placed in a specific order, then the number of possibilities is 15! instead of 15^15.

Likes 1 person
I don't know a lot about advanced mathematics, so I don't know what 15! is, but yes H6ss, the molecular pieces of the compound(?) must be placed in a specific order to work. If any of the 15 are out of order, the compound will not function. So it sounds like 15! would be correct as you stated it. Where would I go to find out more about 15! ? What is the name for this type of calculation? I find the math behind things like this very interesting. Thanks for the help mathman and h6ss.

SteveH66 said:
I don't know a lot about advanced mathematics, so I don't know what 15! is, but yes H6ss, the molecular pieces of the compound(?) must be placed in a specific order to work. If any of the 15 are out of order, the compound will not function. So it sounds like 15! would be correct as you stated it. Where would I go to find out more about 15! ? What is the name for this type of calculation? I find the math behind things like this very interesting. Thanks for the help mathman and h6ss.

n! is the factorial of n, which is the product of all positive integers less than or equal to n.

For example, 15! = 15*14*13*12*11*10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1

It is used notably in combinatorics: there are n! different ways of arranging n distinct objects into a sequence.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factorial

Last edited:

Related to How Many Years to Test Every Combination of a 15-Piece Molecular Puzzle?

What does "Time to test all combinations" refer to?

"Time to test all combinations" refers to the amount of time it would take to test every possible combination of variables or factors in a scientific experiment.

Why is it important to calculate the time to test all combinations?

Calculating the time to test all combinations allows scientists to estimate the length of an experiment and plan accordingly. It also helps determine if the experiment is feasible within a given time frame.

What factors affect the time to test all combinations?

The number of variables, the range of values for each variable, and the testing method used can all affect the time to test all combinations. Additionally, the complexity of the experiment and the resources available can play a role.

Is there a faster way to test all combinations?

There are various techniques, such as factorial designs and Latin squares, that can reduce the number of combinations to be tested. However, these methods may not be applicable to all experiments and may also introduce certain limitations or biases.

Are there any tools or software available to help calculate the time to test all combinations?

Yes, there are various software programs and online calculators that can help estimate the time to test all combinations based on the variables and parameters of an experiment. It is important to choose a reliable and accurate tool for this calculation.