Tips for sorting conferences in CV

In summary, as a freshly graduated engineering student writing your first CV, it is important to include any attendance to conferences where you have participated in presentations, either as an author or a guest lecturer. If you have a research article accompanying your presentation, you should mention it in your list of articles. Additionally, if you have been specifically invited to give a talk at a conference, it is considered a big deal and should be highlighted in a separate section on your CV.
MartinV279
I am a freshly graduated engineering student and am currently writing my first CV. At the end of my studies I attended one conference as a research paper author and another one as a guest lecturer on the same topic as the previous conference. I suppose both are important to be included in a CV, but I am not sure how to classify both as they are not the same activities (guest lecturer and paper presentation).
Also, I wanted to know if I can include in advance another conference where I am presenting as a research author in approximately one month.
Thank you in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The attendance to conferences is important for CV unless you have been involved in some presentations, i.e. oral or poster. If you only participated as author of a research paper then this will appear in your list of articles.

You can also mention that you are preparing a research article for a future conference, put it in you list of articles as "in preparation" or "to be presented at <name_of_the_conference>".

Thank you for the fast response! On the first conference, I was the only author and did the oral presentation. On the other one, I was invited as guest lecturer on a conference for the same paper as it is a new and upcoming technology/system.
It goes without saying that I need to include the first one, but what about the second one. It's probably not a big deal to be a guest lecturer, but as just graduated it means somewhat more in my opnion.

Automatically you should include any oral or poster presentation you gave. If the presentation is accompanied by a research article included in the proceeding of the conference then you should mention it in your list of articles.

In your case: two oral presentations and one research article to mention. Not bad for a freshly graduated student :smile:

Likes MartinV279
Thank you very much! :biggrin:

If the conference organizers specifically invited you to give a talk (without you having submitted an abstract through the regular submission process) that would fall under "invited presentations." This is a big deal and would typically fall under a separate section in your CV.

Choppy said:
If the conference organizers specifically invited you to give a talk (without you having submitted an abstract through the regular submission process) that would fall under "invited presentations." This is a big deal and would typically fall under a separate section in your CV.
So, does this mean that having a subsection "Invited talks/Guest lecture" under the section "Conferences and presentations" is not enough of a emphasis?

MartinV279 said:
So, does this mean that having a subsection "Invited talks/Guest lecture" under the section "Conferences and presentations" is not enough of a emphasis?

No that's fine. That's how most people do it. The point is to highlight an invited presentation.

Likes MartinV279

What is the importance of including conference presentations in a CV?

Conference presentations demonstrate your involvement and contribution in your field of study. They also showcase your ability to communicate your research to a wider audience and can add credibility to your CV.

How should I format conference presentations in my CV?

List your conference presentations in a separate section on your CV, typically under the heading "Conference Presentations" or "Conference Proceedings." Include the title of the presentation, conference name, location, date, and any co-presenters. You can also include a link to the conference program or abstract if available.

Should I include all of my conference presentations in my CV?

Only include conference presentations that are relevant to your field of study or research interests. If you have presented at a large number of conferences, consider only including the most recent or prestigious ones. Quality over quantity is key.

Can I include virtual/online conference presentations in my CV?

Yes, virtual or online conference presentations are just as valuable as in-person presentations and should be included in your CV. Be sure to specify that it was a virtual presentation and include the date and the platform used for the presentation.

Should I include conference presentations that are still in the planning stage?

No, only include conference presentations that have already taken place. Future presentations can be listed under a separate section titled "Upcoming Conference Presentations" or "Conference Presentations in Progress."