How Can You Solve for x When L1 and L2 are Parallel?

In summary: I think you just helped me rephrase what jambaugh did into a more straightforward way. Thank you, I'm still learning and sometimes I get stuck in places...In summary, the problem involves finding the value of x when given that L1 and L2 are parallel. By analyzing the polygon in blue and using the fact that the angles of the polygon must sum up to 540 degrees, it is possible to solve for the value of θ. By following the turns of the polygon, it can be determined that θ is equal to 20 degrees. Therefore, x can be calculated by subtracting 3 times θ from 180 degrees, resulting in a value of 120 degrees.
david3305

Homework Statement

Find x. L1 and L2 are parallel
ex1.png

Choices:
a)100
b)120
c)140
d)150
e)135

Homework Equations

s1.png

From the image, the angles of the polygon in blue should satisfy:
6θ + 90 + 4θ + 2θ + 90 + x = 540
12θ + x = 360
x = 360 - 12θ

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't figure out how to advance from there so I resorted to a dirty trick using the values from the choices.
Noticing that every value of each choice is a multiply of 5 then the value of θ in the equation must be:
θ = 5n
So it follows that:
x = 360-12(5n)
Then by trial and error:
x = 180 for n = 3
x = 120 for n = 4
x = 60 for n = 5
From the image x should be obtuse so then I conclude that x must be equal to 120
and the answer would be the letter 'b'. I know I got it right cause my book says that's the correct answer. However since this is a section of my book were no development of the solution is presented (just the final answer) I'm asking for some tips on other methods to solve this. Perhaps I'm overlooking something...

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ex1.png
    ex1.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 944
  • s1.png
    s1.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 952
Physics news on Phys.org
I found it most efficacious to solve for ##\theta## first. Note that from the lower left moving rightward on L2 you can follow the turns until you're moving leftward along L1 and you will have turned ##180^\circ## by a sequence of angles ##\theta, 2\theta, 3\theta, (7-4)\theta##. So with that you can solve for ##\theta##.

I also note that the drawing is very much not to scale w.r.t. angles.

Likes david3305
Nice. I didn't look it that way, 'follow the turns', cool. Thank you for your reply.

I'm interested to see another way of solving for X that doesn't involve using the polygon like I did.

And yes, the drawing is not to scale at all.

If the lower θ and upper 4θ were both zero, then X would be 180°, so the answer is whatever the upper one is less the lower one, subtracted from 180°. So without solving for θ (which jambaugh already did) it looks to me like X = 180° - (4θ - θ), or 180° - 3θ.
Unless I'm reading this wrong.

Does that help?

yeah tbh I was kinda lazy to think about it, just following jambaugh's way I can find the following is true:

(θ) + (90) + (180 - x) + (90 - 4θ) = 180
-3θ + 360 - x = 180
180 - 3θ = x

By the same reasoning we already know:
θ + 2θ + 3θ + 3θ = 180
9θ = 180
θ = 20
so:
180 - 3(20) = x
x = 120

1. What is the best approach to solving this geometry problem?

The best approach to solving any geometry problem is to carefully read and understand the question, draw a clear diagram, and then use the appropriate formulas and theorems to find the solution.

2. How can I improve my understanding of geometry to solve this problem?

To improve your understanding of geometry, you can practice solving various problems, review theorems and formulas, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

3. Is it important to show all of my work when solving this problem?

Yes, it is important to show all of your work when solving a geometry problem. This not only helps you keep track of your steps, but also allows your teacher or tutor to provide feedback and see where you may have made a mistake.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve this geometry problem?

It depends on the specific problem and your teacher's instructions. Some problems may require precise calculations and therefore a calculator may not be allowed. Make sure to check with your teacher before using a calculator.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving geometry problems more efficiently?

Yes, there are several tips and tricks that can help you solve geometry problems more efficiently. These include drawing accurate diagrams, using shortcuts for common formulas, and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts.