Tips & Recommendations for Solving Laplace Equation Potentials.

In summary, the conversation is about solving Laplace's equation to find potentials in Cartesian, Cylindrical, and Spherical coordinates. The person is having difficulty with the Spherical case and is seeking advice and recommendations on sources to approach these types of problems. They also ask about determining the Legendre Polynomials and what determines the value of l in the equation. The answer to this question can be found in a textbook or through a teacher, but the question itself is still too vague.
Fjolvar
Question on Solving Laplace Equation Potentials.

Hello, I'm learning how to solve Laplace's equation to find Potentials in Cartesian, Cylindrical, and Spherical Coordinates and let's just say it's not going as smoothly as I'd like. In particular, I'm having difficulty with the Spherical case which involves Legendre Polynomials, Method of Frobenius, Orthogonality, etc. Can anyone recommend any sources or even simply give me a hint/tips on how to approach these types of problems? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps my post is too vague, so let's try this: In the Spherical case, how do you determine Pl(X) in the Angular Equation of V(r,[tex]\vartheta[/tex]) where [tex]\Theta[/tex]([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) = Pl(cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex]))..

What determines l (lower case L) in the Legendre Polynomials when solving for Pl(X)..

I know that when l=0, Pl(X) = 1. When l=1, Pl(X) = X, etc. So what does l depend on and how does it relate to the order of the equation and the physics of a problem?

Last edited:
Your textbook or teacher shold be able to answer that, but your question here is still too vague.

Related to Tips & Recommendations for Solving Laplace Equation Potentials.

1. What is the Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation, also known as the potential equation, is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of potential in a region with no sources or sinks. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve for the potential in a given system.

2. What are the tips for solving Laplace equation potentials?

Some tips for solving Laplace equation potentials include:
- Identify the boundary conditions of the system
- Choose an appropriate coordinate system
- Use separation of variables to break down the equation into simpler parts
- Apply boundary conditions to solve for the constants
- Check for convergence and accuracy of the solution

3. Can the Laplace equation be solved analytically?

Yes, the Laplace equation can be solved analytically using various techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and complex analysis. However, in more complex systems, numerical methods may be necessary for finding solutions.

4. What are the applications of solving Laplace equation potentials?

The Laplace equation has many applications in physics and engineering, including:
- Electrostatics and magnetostatics
- Fluid dynamics
- Heat transfer
- Potential flow in aerodynamics
- Image and signal processing
- Quantum mechanics

5. How can I verify the accuracy of my solution for the Laplace equation?

One way to verify the accuracy of your solution is to use a method of manufactured solutions. This involves choosing a known solution to the Laplace equation and then checking if your numerical or analytical solution matches it. Additionally, you can also compare your solution to results from other methods or use convergence analysis to assess the accuracy of your solution.