Titration Calculation of Unknown Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of titration and the use of an unknown sample, Sodium Hydroxide, and Hydrochloric Acid. The goal is to find the mole of the unknown substance using the equation mol = concentration * volume. The use of a triangle as a mnemonic device is mentioned, but it is not a method of solving the problem. A link is provided for further assistance.
xkieth

Homework Statement

I titrated an unknown sample with a Sodium Hydroxide 250cm3 with 0.1M Concentration. I titrate and used up 17 cm3 using a Hydrochloric Acid to neutralise the NaOH. I have to find out the Mole of the unknown substance

Homework Equations

I forgot the equations of titration, all I can find on the internet I can't understand them.. >.<

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the 0.1 mol dm-3 NaOH and got 19.3cm3 HCl , that would be equal to 0.83 M,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i find the easiest way of remembering the equation is to think of a triangle:
mol
concentration * volume

so mol = concentration * volume
concentration = mol/volume
volume = mol/concentration

What is titration?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of an unknown solution by reacting it with a known solution.

What is an indicator in titration?

An indicator is a substance that changes color when the reaction between the unknown and known solutions is complete. It is used to determine the endpoint of the titration.

How do you calculate the concentration of an unknown solution in titration?

The concentration of the unknown solution can be calculated using the formula M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the concentration of the known solution, V1 is the volume of the known solution used, M2 is the concentration of the unknown solution, and V2 is the volume of the unknown solution.

What are some common sources of error in titration?

Some common sources of error in titration include inaccurate measurements, improper mixing of solutions, and incorrect placement of the indicator.

Why is it important to perform multiple trials in titration?

Performing multiple trials in titration helps to ensure accuracy and reduce the impact of any errors. It also allows for the calculation of an average value, which can provide a more precise result.