Titration Question (High School Chem)

In summary, the student was trying to determine the concentration of an ammonium chloride solution. They made up a solution of barium hydroxide and used it to titrate an unknown ammonium chloride solution. They then used the newly standardized ammonium solution to determine the concentration of an unknown solution of lithium hydroxide. The concentration of barium hydroxide was calculated to be 0.30900 mol/L and the concentration of hydroxide ions was 0.6180 mol/L. The average titrant volume for the first series of titrations was 31.7mL. The remaining questions were to determine the concentration of ammonium chloride solution, calculate the average titrant volume for the second series of titr
imapeiceofwod
Ok i got to answer i series of 8 questions, most of them i think rely of the question before it to complete the others.Heres what I am given:

A student was trying to determine the concentration of an ammonium chloride solution. he made up a solution of barium hydroxide by dissolving 52.947g in a volumetric flask made up up 1.0L and then tirtrate 50 ml of this solution with unknown ammonium chloride solution. The following resutls were obtained

Intial volume 3.38ml and final volume 35.07ml (in the lab it did it for three trials I am just goin gto give the average)

The newly standized ammonium solution was then used to determine the concentration of 50 ml of an unknown solution of lithium hydroxide with the following results:

Intial volume 2.76ML and final volume 40.81ml

Now here are the questions: I got the first 4 but the last few i need help.

1.Calculate the concentraion of barium hydoxide.
answer: 0.30900 mol/L

2.Determine the concentration of hydroixde ions.
answer: 0.6180 mol/L

3.Calculate the number of moles of hydroixde ion in the flask.
answer: 0.6180mol/L

4.Calculate the average titrant volume for the first series of titrations:
answer: 31.7mL

----The following I am having trouble with----

5.Determine the concentration of ammonium chloride solution
6.Calculate the average titrant volume for the second series of titrations
answer: 38.05ml
7.determine the number of moles of ammonium ions used to neutralize the hydroxide ions.
8.Determine the concentration of the lithium hydroxide solution.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is titration in chemistry?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to measure the concentration of a solution by reacting it with a known concentration of another solution. It is commonly used to determine the concentration of an acid or base in a solution.

2. How is titration performed?

In titration, a known volume of a solution with unknown concentration, called the analyte, is added to a solution with a known concentration, called the titrant, until an observable change occurs. This change, known as the endpoint, indicates that the reaction is complete and allows for the calculation of the concentration of the analyte.

3. What is the purpose of titration?

The purpose of titration is to determine the concentration of a solution by reacting it with a known concentration of another solution. This allows for the analysis of the concentration of acids, bases, and other substances in a solution.

4. What are the different types of titration?

There are several types of titration, including acid-base titration, redox titration, and complexometric titration. Acid-base titration is used to determine the concentration of an acid or base in a solution, while redox titration is used to determine the concentration of an oxidizing or reducing agent. Complexometric titration is used to determine the concentration of metal ions in a solution.

5. What are some common indicators used in titration?

Common indicators used in titration include phenolphthalein, methyl orange, and bromothymol blue. These indicators change color at a specific pH, which helps to determine the endpoint of the titration. Other indicators, such as a pH meter, can also be used to determine the endpoint based on changes in pH.