Too much cooling air? (Power supply failures due to condensation)

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where 36 power supplies are failing due to moisture, despite being located in a room with a temperature of 30C and relative humidity of 45%. The failures were attributed to condensation forming inside the enclosure, possibly caused by negative pressure and airflow from cooling fans. The person requesting assistance has decades of experience designing power electronics but has never encountered this issue before. Additional questions are asked regarding the room's conditioning, temperature, and the possibility of relocating the cooling fans.
powerelect
TL;DR Summary
condensation and dew point in electrical cabinet with high velocity air
I have a situation that I cannot explain so I need the assistance of someone with a good understanding of thermodynamics.

I have 36 AC to DC power supplies located in an equipment rack. These power supplies are failing after some time. The failures appear to be moisture related. We put moisture indicating labels in the power supply and their color changed indicating the presence of moisture.

We replaced the metal cover on the power supply with clear plexiglass and we also saw condensation form inside the enclosure after a number of hours. The environmental conditions were 30C and 45%RH. The dew point should be far below room temperature under these conditions. This was installed at a location close to sea level. There are large cooling fans on the cabinet door pulling air out of the cabinet.

So, the pressure inside the cabinet is negative. Could this large amount of airflow pulling through the unit cause the moisture in the air to condense? Could the negative pressure cause the dew point to drop? Can someone explain this? I have been designing power electronics for decades and have never seen this before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Welcome, @powerelect ! :smile:

Is the room containing the panel conditioned?
If so, at what temperature?
Could you relocate the cooling fans to be blowing into the cabinet?

What causes power supply failures due to condensation?

Power supply failures due to condensation occur when there is too much cooling air in the environment, causing moisture to accumulate on the components of the power supply. This can lead to short circuits and other malfunctions.

How does too much cooling air affect the power supply?

When there is too much cooling air, the temperature inside the power supply can drop below the dew point, causing moisture to condense on the components. This can lead to corrosion, rust, and other damage that can cause the power supply to fail.

What are the signs of power supply failure due to condensation?

Some common signs of power supply failure due to condensation include sudden shutdowns, strange noises, and burning smells. You may also notice visible signs of corrosion or rust on the power supply components.

How can I prevent power supply failures due to condensation?

To prevent power supply failures due to condensation, it is important to maintain a balanced environment with proper temperature and humidity levels. You can also use a dehumidifier or other moisture control methods in the area where the power supply is located.

What should I do if my power supply fails due to condensation?

If your power supply fails due to condensation, it is important to first remove the power supply from the environment and allow it to dry completely. You can also try using a hairdryer on a low setting to gently dry the components. If the power supply still does not work, it may need to be replaced.