Topic of presentation: Elementary Geometry vs Fibonacci & its sequences

In summary: What do you think of that? :unsure:Just to give a though for the other possibility.With elementary geometry you can discuss the Euclid's axioms and postulates. The parallel postulate is always good fun as so many have tried to prove that it doesn't need to be included. (It does need to be because it's a launching point for non-Euclidean geometries.)Lots of fun stuff you can talk about.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! 😊

Between the following two topics:
  1. Elementary Geometry
  2. Fibonacci and its sequences
which would you suggest for a presentation? Could you give me also some ideas what could we the structure of each topic? :unsure:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari!

Sun flowers! 🌻 (Sun)
And various other parts of nature.
They have Fibonacci's numbers embedded in them, and the ratio approaches the golden number, which is also a nice exercise in elemental geometry where we can also see the golden number. :)

Which of them do you think is more interesting and better for a presentation?

For the Fibonacci numbers we could refer the sequence and the formula, some applications, some properties, or not?
For the elementary geometry we could refer to the properties of straight lines, circles, planes, polyhedrons, the sphere, the cylinder, or not?

Do you have an other better idea? :unsure:

Just to give a though for the other possibility. With elementary geometry you can discuss the Euclid's axioms and postulates. The parallel postulate is always good fun as so many have tried to prove that it doesn't need to be included. (It does need to be because it's a launching point for non-Euclidean geometries.)

Lots of fun stuff you can talk about.

-Dan

I looked for both topics and I think Fibonacci is more specific, elementary geometry is a more abstract topic, isn't it?

As for the Fibonacci one, what do you think about the following structure:

1. An introduction about the topic
  2. A little biography of Leonardo Fibonacci
  3. Some words about the Fibonacci sequence
  4. Some properties about the Fibonacci sequence
  5. Applications

:unsure:

What would you put in section 3? 🤔
Which applications in section 5 are you thinking of?

Btw, if it were me, I'd include a couple of neat videos.
For starters one in the introduction - to immediately grab the attention of the audience. 🌻
And more videos in other parts of the presentation.
There are some very nice videos around that show how Fibonacci appears in nature. (Sun)
I'd also highlight the connection to the Golden Ratio, which ties it to elementary geometry as well.
That may deserve its own section. 🤔

Ok! As for the begining, the structure could be the followinf, or not?

- Definition/Formula
- Using other inital values we get the lucas sequence
- Example of application of Fibonaccisequence
- Properties of Fibonacci/Lucas-sequence and proving some of them of mention just the idea of proof
- Formula of Binet to get the explicit definition
- Relation between fibonacci and lucas sequences
- The sequencews are also defined for negative indices

What do you think of that? Or could we d that better? :unsure:

The given notes for the properties (this is the first part) are here (they are in german).Then as for the second chapter, it is about Fibonacci and Linear Algebra, here are some notes.
Here again we could mention all the properties and for some give also the proof.

What do you think of that? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathmari, what is the target audience for this presentation? I don't think I've seen you mention this. It matters a lot when it comes to structuring your talk.

Fantini said:
Mathmari, what is the target audience for this presentation? I don't think I've seen you mention this. It matters a lot when it comes to structuring your talk.

The audience consists of the other students of that lecture.

I thought now about elementary geometry, and more precisely on the straight line and the triangle.

For this I use the book "Elementary Geometry" by Ilka Agricola, Thomas Friedrich (chapters 1.1 and 1.2).

The following topics are discussed there with regard to the straight line:
- Intercept theorem
- Pappus's hexagon theorem
- Desargues's theorem
- Theorem of Thales

And regarding the triangle:
- Theorem: A triangle is isosceles if and only if two of its inner angles are equal.
- Theorem: A triangle is equilateral if and only if its three interior angles are equal.
- Exterior angle theorem
- Sum of angles in a triangle
- Alternate angle theorem So would the structure of the presentnation mention all of these topics and prove some of them? Or what do you think? :unsure:

mathmari said:
Ok! As for the begining, the structure could be the following, or not?

- Definition/Formula
- Using other inital values we get the lucas sequence
- Example of application of Fibonaccisequence
- Properties of Fibonacci/Lucas-sequence and proving some of them of mention just the idea of proof
- Formula of Binet to get the explicit definition
- Relation between fibonacci and lucas sequences
- The sequences are also defined for negative indices

What do you think of that? Or could we d that better?

The given notes for the properties (this is the first part) are here (they are in german).

Then as for the second chapter, it is about Fibonacci and Linear Algebra, here are some notes.
Here again we could mention all the properties and for some give also the proof.

What do you think of that?
mathmari said:
The audience consists of the other students of that lecture.
I think it is a lot to cover in a single presentation.
To be honest, I'm not really familiar with the Lucas sequence, and there is quite some information there that is not known to me yet.
Still, that might actually make it interesting to an audience that is already familiar with Fibonacci in general.
It does seem to me that it is too much. (Worried)

Since your structure is basically the first chapter from a book, it seems to me it would effectively be a lecture in a teaching course.
Is that what you intend? :unsure:
mathmari said:
I thought now about elementary geometry, and more precisely on the straight line and the triangle.

For this I use the book "Elementary Geometry" by Ilka Agricola, Thomas Friedrich (chapters 1.1 and 1.2).

The following topics are discussed there with regard to the straight line:
- Intercept theorem
- Pappus's hexagon theorem
- Desargues's theorem
- Theorem of Thales

And regarding the triangle:
- Theorem: A triangle is isosceles if and only if two of its inner angles are equal.
- Theorem: A triangle is equilateral if and only if its three interior angles are equal.
- Exterior angle theorem
- Sum of angles in a triangle
- Alternate angle theoremSo would the structure of the presentnation mention all of these topics and prove some of them? Or what do you think?
Again, it may be too much.
A presentation that covers all of it, may be rattling through the material.
Then it would only be understandable to an audience that already knows all of it. o_O

What is the purpose of the presentation? 🤔
If the target audience are other students of the same lecture, then that sounds as if it is a teaching exercise.
Is it?

1. What is the difference between Elementary Geometry and Fibonacci sequences?

Elementary Geometry is the study of basic geometric concepts such as points, lines, angles, and shapes. It also includes the application of these concepts to solve problems. On the other hand, Fibonacci sequences are a series of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. These sequences can be found in various natural phenomena and have many applications in mathematics and other fields.

2. How are Fibonacci sequences related to Elementary Geometry?

Fibonacci sequences are often used in Elementary Geometry to create geometric shapes, such as the golden spiral and the golden rectangle. These shapes have proportions that are based on the Fibonacci sequence and are found in many natural objects, such as seashells and flowers.

3. Can Fibonacci sequences be used to solve geometric problems?

Yes, Fibonacci sequences can be used to solve certain geometric problems, such as finding the number of ways to tile a floor with squares and rectangles. They can also be used to calculate the angles and proportions of geometric shapes.

4. Are there any real-life applications of Fibonacci sequences in Elementary Geometry?

Yes, Fibonacci sequences have many real-life applications in Elementary Geometry. They can be used to design aesthetically pleasing buildings, create efficient packing patterns, and analyze the growth patterns of plants and animals.

5. How can understanding Fibonacci sequences benefit students in learning Elementary Geometry?

Studying Fibonacci sequences can help students develop a deeper understanding of geometric concepts and their applications. It can also improve their problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities. Additionally, learning about the relationship between Fibonacci sequences and geometry can make math more interesting and relevant to students.