Torque produced by friction when braking in a car

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of torque in rotational motion and how it relates to a car braking. The net torque is explained to be zero in this scenario, with the force of friction acting as a torque force causing the car to lift up at the back. There is a question raised about the calculations and whether the angle of the force should be taken into account, but it is clarified that there are different ways of calculating the torque. The conversation ends with a better understanding of the concept.
jimkers
Hi

So I am busy studying rotational motion and there's an example in the book where they explain that when a car brakes the force of friction acts as a torque force which explains why a car lifts up at the back when braking.
20180120_171738[1].jpg

Because the car does no rotational motion they say the net torque is zero and that force N1 counteracts the counterclockwise rotation and the rest count towards the counterclockwise rotation.

Here's my problem, when the calculations are being made, they put in the values for all the forces, multiplied by the distance shown on the figure: 1,5 m and 0,75 m. Shouldn't they account for the angle the force makes with the line between the axis of rotation and the tires (point where the force acts)? I thought only the force acting perpendicular to this line serves in this net force equation.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20180120_171738[1].jpg
    20180120_171738[1].jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 757
Physics news on Phys.org
jimkers said:
Shouldn't they account for the angle the force makes with the line between the axis of rotation and the tires (point where the force acts)?
That's true, but there are several equivalent ways of calculating the torque.

jimkers said:
I thought only the force acting perpendicular to this line serves in this net force equation.
You can either multiply the distance by the force component perpendicular to that line (L*Fsinθ) or multiply the force by the perpendicular distance to the line of action of the force, called the 'moment arm' (Lsinθ*F). Same result either way.

Hmm, I think I understand now, thank you very much

1. What is torque produced by friction when braking in a car?

Torque produced by friction when braking in a car is the measure of the rotational force that is generated by the friction between the brake pads and the brake rotor. This torque is what causes the car to slow down and eventually come to a stop.

2. How is torque produced by friction calculated?

To calculate torque produced by friction when braking in a car, you need to know the coefficient of friction between the brake pads and the rotor, the force applied to the brake pedal, and the radius of the brake rotor. The formula for torque is torque = coefficient of friction x force x radius.

3. What factors affect the torque produced by friction when braking?

The torque produced by friction when braking is affected by several factors, including the condition of the brake pads and rotor, the speed of the car, and the weight of the car. The coefficient of friction can also vary depending on the material of the brake pads and rotor.

4. Can too much torque produced by friction be harmful to the car?

Yes, excessive torque produced by friction when braking can be harmful to the car. It can cause wear and tear on the brake pads and rotor, leading to decreased braking efficiency and potentially causing damage to other parts of the car.

5. How can torque produced by friction be reduced?

To reduce torque produced by friction when braking, you can use smoother braking techniques, maintain the brake pads and rotor in good condition, and avoid braking excessively or abruptly. Upgrading to higher-quality brake pads and rotors can also help reduce torque produced by friction.