Torque to Overcome Static Friction of a Rolling Object

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of optimizing the power to weight ratio and gearing of a RWD car. The speaker has torque charts and is trying to determine the minimum speed at which the car can no longer spin its tires due to static friction, and plans to repeat this process for each gear. They suggest plotting two lines on a graph of torque vs velocity to find the desired velocity.
ALincoln21
I am doing some calculations to optimize the power to weight ratio and gearing of a RWD car. I have torque charts and can calculate the force put to the track by each wheel and the static frictional force by the track on each wheel. I am trying to determine what the minimum speed is for the car to be moving before the car is no longer able to spin its tires (overcome static friction), and repeat this process for each gear. Any ideas on how to approach this problem??

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's quite straight forward..

The max torque that can be delivered to the wheels without slipping is the max Frictional force * wheel radius. If the car can deliver more torque than that the wheels can spin (I mean slip).

You should be able to plot two lines on the same graph of torque vs velocity...

1) A horizontal line for the max torque that friction can handle.
2) A curve for the available torque vs velocity.

The point where 2) dips below 1) will be the velocity you are looking for.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of a force's ability to cause rotation around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface. It prevents the object from sliding or rolling when a force is applied to it.

How does torque affect the static friction of a rolling object?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate, and it is also the force that can overcome the static friction of a rolling object. The greater the torque applied to the object, the greater the force that can be applied to overcome the static friction and cause the object to roll.

What factors affect the torque required to overcome static friction of a rolling object?

The torque required to overcome static friction of a rolling object depends on the weight of the object, the coefficient of static friction between the object and the surface it is rolling on, and the radius of the rolling object.

How can the torque required to overcome static friction of a rolling object be calculated?

The torque required to overcome static friction can be calculated by multiplying the force of static friction by the radius of the rolling object. This calculation can be used to determine the minimum torque needed to start the rolling motion of an object.