Torsion forms and particle physics

In summary, torsion is an important concept in the generalized language of fiber bundles used in the Standard Model and Einstein-Cartan theory, but it is not relevant to particle physics research as it cannot be coupled to matter content in a non-trivial way. Solutions for torsion with rotation and reflection symmetries are found by using a correspondence between the two theories.
itssilva
Hi; I've been doing some research for my master's on gauge theory in the language of fiber bundles, and something occurred to me. Both GR and the Standard Model (SM) can be described in terms of connections (potentials) and curvatures (field strengths), but there's this generalization of GR, Einstein-Cartan (EC) theory, which incorporates a new object, the torsion 2-form, as something that might have physical importance, as it seems to be necessary to deal with couplings with fields with spin (e.g., Dirac fermions). Regardless of that being correct or not, torsion is a geometrical concept that (theoretically) can also be adopted in the principal bundle formalism of SM and Yang-Mills theories in general, and, carrying on the analogy with EC, we could talk about the spin of, say, SU(N) (not the usual "Lorentzian" spin, but the more general definition of Spin as double cover of a rotation group or something like that), introduce torsion, couple terms à la EC, and then derive new, potentially observable coupling terms involving the SU(N)-spin fields, right? However, I haven't found anything in the literature that deals with torsion in a field-theoretical context without involving EC or another theory of gravitation; does anyone know of such work, or an argument why torsion (in the generalized, purely geometrical sense referred above) isn't important to particle physics research?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not an expert on this (@haushofer, @samalkhaiat , @fzero ), but particle physics, at least when it comes to QFT of the SM, is governed by the Coleman-Mandula no-go theorem, which prevents a non-trivial coupling of background (flat Minkowski) geometry to matter content (gauge fields). So, yes, Minkowski space-time is torsionless, the Yang-Mills fiber bundle is torsionless (?), but they are unrelated under the SM. A study of supersymmetric QFT/SuGra is not a domain where I can formulate an opinion.

dextercioby said:
I am not an expert on this (@haushofer, @samalkhaiat , @fzero ), but particle physics, at least when it comes to QFT of the SM, is governed by the Coleman-Mandula no-go theorem, which prevents a non-trivial coupling of background (flat Minkowski) geometry to matter content (gauge fields). So, yes, Minkowski space-time is torsionless, the Yang-Mills fiber bundle is torsionless (?), but they are unrelated under the SM. A study of supersymmetric QFT/SuGra is not a domain where I can formulate an opinion.
Thanks for the reply; but, in your own words, I don't think the no-go theorem would apply here because I asked about torsion in the G-bundle, not the frame bundle of GR (spacetime is still Minkowski). Also, SuSyQFT is not necessary, as this question is more fundamental. Another way of asking: if the Riemann tensor is to the Faraday tensor as the Levi-Civita connection is to the EM potential, what is the Yang-Mills equivalent of torsion? By making a (generalized ) Yang-Mills theory with torsion, what kinds of prediction can one make?

It has been done long time ago. And in the late 80's identical set up was formulated in string theory and other M theories. Look up the work of T.L. Curtright, C.K. Zachos and L. Mezinescu. In particular
T.L. Curtright, C.K. Zachos, Phys. Rev. Lett. 53 (1984) 1799.
E. Braaten, T.L. Curtright, C.K. Zachos, Nucl. Phys. B (?) (1985).

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby and Ben Niehoff
samalkhaiat said:
It has been done long time ago. And in the late 80's identical set up was formulated in string theory and other M theories. Look up the work of T.L. Curtright, C.K. Zachos and L. Mezinescu. In particular
T.L. Curtright, C.K. Zachos, Phys. Rev. Lett. 53 (1984) 1799.
E. Braaten, T.L. Curtright, C.K. Zachos, Nucl. Phys. B (?) (1985).
Thanks, but I'd also be interested to see a study done within old-school QFT - I'm not much of a string guy, nor do I worry about stuff like SuSy.

Try Correspondence between Einstein-Yang-Mills-Lorentz systems and dynamical torsion models
J.Cembranos J. Gigante Valcarcel said:
In the framework of Einstein-Yang-Mills theories, we study the gauge Lorentz group and establish a particular equivalence between this case and a certain class of theories with torsion within Riemann-Cartan space-times. This relation is specially useful in order to simplify the problem of finding exact solutions to the Einstein-Yang-Mills equations. Solutions for non-vanishing torsion with rotation and reflection symmetries are presented by the explicit use of this correspondence. Although these solutions were found in previous literature by a different approach, our method provides an alternative way to obtain them and it may be used in future research to find other exact solutions within this theory.

1. What is torsion and how is it related to particle physics?

Torsion is a geometric property of a space that describes the twisting or rotation of an object around a specific axis. In particle physics, torsion is used to describe the rotation or spin of subatomic particles, which is an important characteristic in determining their properties and interactions.

2. How does torsion affect the behavior of particles?

Torsion can affect the behavior of particles in several ways. For example, it can impact the strength and direction of their interactions with other particles, as well as their stability and decay processes. Torsion can also influence the properties of particles, such as their mass and charge.

3. What are some real-world applications of torsion in particle physics?

Torsion has many practical applications in particle physics. For instance, it is used in the construction of particle accelerators, where the spin of particles is manipulated to produce high-energy collisions. Torsion is also used in theoretical models to explain the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

4. Can torsion be observed or measured in experiments?

Yes, torsion can be observed and measured in experiments. For example, scientists can measure the spin of particles using various techniques, such as scattering experiments and magnetic resonance imaging. Additionally, torsion can also be indirectly observed through its effects on particle behavior and interactions.

5. How does the concept of torsion fit into current theories of particle physics?

Torsion is an important aspect of many current theories of particle physics, such as the Standard Model and supersymmetry. It is also a key component in some more speculative theories, such as string theory. However, the exact role and significance of torsion in these theories is still an active area of research and debate among scientists.