Torsion of space curves, why dB/ds is perpendicular to tangent

In summary, the conversation discusses section 4.3 of George Cain & James Harod's multivariable calculus material, which focuses on torsion. It explains that the binormal, a unit vector perpendicular to both the unit tangent and principal unit normal, has a derivative that is also perpendicular to the tangent vector. This is deduced by differentiating the equation B ⋅ T = 0 with respect to s and taking into account that B is perpendicular to N. The scalar τ is then introduced as the torsion. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the derivative of B is perpendicular to both B and T, and thus has the direction of N.
phucnguyen
Hi,

I'm reading this piece from George Cain & James Harod's multivariable calculus material.

Section 4.3, which is about Torsion, says this:

Let R(t) be a vector description of a curve. If T is the unit tangent and N is the principal unit normal, the unit vector B = T × N is called the binormal. Note that the binormal is orthogonal to both T and N. Let’s see about its derivative dB/ds with respect to arclength s. First, note that B ⋅ B = 1, and so B ⋅ (dB/ds) = 0 , which means that being orthogonal to B, the derivative dB/ds is in the plane of T and N. Next, note that B is perpendicular to the tangent vector T, and so B ⋅ T = 0 . Thus (dB/ds) ⋅ T = 0 . So what have we here? The vector is perpendicular to both B and T, and so must have the direction of N (or, of course, - N). This means (dB/ds) = −τ N .
The scalar τ is called the torsion.

I don't understand how he deduces dB/ds is perpendicular to T? Where did I get lost?

Following the paragraph, it seems to me that T and N plays quite the same role to B, then suddenly dB/ds is perpendicular to T.

Please enlightent me. Many thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate the equation B ⋅ T = 0 with respect to s to get

(dB/ds) ⋅ T + B ⋅ (dT/ds) = 0

But dT/ds is a multiple of N and B is perpendicular to N, thus B ⋅ (dT/ds) =0 and we are left with (dB/ds) ⋅ T = 0

Oh now I got it. Thank you very much!

Related to Torsion of space curves, why dB/ds is perpendicular to tangent

1. What is torsion of space curves?

Torsion of space curves is a mathematical concept used to describe the amount of twisting or turning of a curve in three-dimensional space. It is a measure of how much a curve deviates from being a straight line.

2. How is torsion related to the curvature of a space curve?

Torsion and curvature are both measures of how a curve deviates from being a straight line. Curvature describes the amount of bending in a curve, while torsion describes the amount of twisting. In general, the higher the curvature and torsion of a curve, the more complex its shape is.

3. Why is dB/ds perpendicular to the tangent of a space curve?

The derivative of the binormal vector (dB/ds) is always perpendicular to the tangent vector of a space curve. This is because the binormal vector is defined as the cross product of the tangent and normal vectors, which by definition is perpendicular to both.

4. How is torsion calculated for a space curve?

Torsion is calculated using the Frenet-Serret formulas, which relate the derivatives of the tangent, normal, and binormal vectors to the curvature and torsion of a space curve. The formula for torsion involves the derivative of the binormal vector and the curvature of the curve.

5. What is the significance of dB/ds being perpendicular to the tangent of a space curve?

The fact that dB/ds is perpendicular to the tangent of a space curve is important because it allows us to describe the three-dimensional shape of a curve using only two vectors (tangent and normal). It also helps us understand the rate of change of the direction of the curve, which is represented by the binormal vector.