Torus - Singh, Example 2.2.5 - Baffled by certain aspects

In summary, Singh's Example 2.2.5 discusses the torus and its properties. The circle C1 at a height of z = 1 is chosen to be the top of the torus, while C2 is the same circle as the top of the torus. It is possible for Singh to define C1 as the bottom of the torus by using the equation x^2 + y^2 = 4 at a height of z = -1. Additionally, question 2 addresses the homeomorphism of T to S^1 x S^1, which is embedded in Euclidean 4-space.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am baffled by some aspects of the torus ... I hope someone can help ...

I am puzzled by some aspects of Singh's treatment of the torus in Example 2.2.5 ( Tej Bahadur Singh: Elements of Topology, CRC Press, 2013) ... ...

Singh's Example 2.2.5 reads as follows:

?temp_hash=1d6597f8eee43d0cd15ffc346eef67d4.png

My questions related to the above example of Singh's are as follows:Question 1

[itex]C_1[/itex] as defined above seems to me to be a circle at 'height' [itex]z = 1[/itex], around the [itex]z[/itex]-axis ... why (for what reason?) did Singh choose [itex]C_1[/itex] to be at 'height' [itex]z = 1[/itex]?

Why not choose [itex]C_1[/itex] as [itex]\{ (x,y, 0) \ | \ x^2 + y^2 = 4 \}[/itex]?

Such a choice seems more natural if you are rotating [itex]C_2[/itex] around the [itex]z[/itex]-axis, since [itex]C_1[/itex] is at level [itex]z = 0[/itex] ... ...Question 2

[itex]h \ : \ T \rightarrow C_1 \times C_2[/itex]

maps [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] onto two three dimensional points in Euclidean [itex]3[/itex]-space and so essentially maps [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] into Euclidean [itex]6[/itex]-space ... ..

... BUT ...

[itex]T[/itex] is homeomorphic to [itex]S^1 \times S^1[/itex] which is embedded in Euclidean [itex]4[/itex]-space ... ... how can this be ...

I hope someone can clarify the above issues/questions ...

Peter

Attachments

• Singh - Example 2.2.5.png
    Singh - Example 2.2.5.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 680
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Question 2: C1 and C2 are both circles in R^3 so the product is embedded in R^6.

Question 1. The top of the torus,T, is a circle at height of 1 above the xy-plane. and has radius 2
The circle C2 is the same circle.

Last edited:
Math Amateur said:
I am baffled by some aspects of the torus ... I hope someone can help ...

I am puzzled by some aspects of Singh's treatment of the torus in Example 2.2.5 ( Tej Bahadur Singh: Elements of Topology, CRC Press, 2013) ... ...

Singh's Example 2.2.5 reads as follows:

?temp_hash=1d6597f8eee43d0cd15ffc346eef67d4.png

My questions related to the above example of Singh's are as follows:Question 1

[itex]C_1[/itex] as defined above seems to me to be a circle at 'height' [itex]z = 1[/itex], around the [itex]z[/itex]-axis ... why (for what reason?) did Singh choose [itex]C_1[/itex] to be at 'height' [itex]z = 1[/itex]?

Why not choose [itex]C_1[/itex] as [itex]\{ (x,y, 0) \ | \ x^2 + y^2 = 4 \}[/itex]?

Such a choice seems more natural if you are rotating [itex]C_2[/itex] around the [itex]z[/itex]-axis, since [itex]C_1[/itex] is at level [itex]z = 0[/itex] ... ...Question 2

[itex]h \ : \ T \rightarrow C_1 \times C_2[/itex]

maps [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] onto two three dimensional points in Euclidean [itex]3[/itex]-space and so essentially maps [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] into Euclidean [itex]6[/itex]-space ... ..

... BUT ...

[itex]T[/itex] is homeomorphic to [itex]S^1 \times S^1[/itex] which is embedded in Euclidean [itex]4[/itex]-space ... ... how can this be ...

I hope someone can clarify the above issues/questions ...

Peter
lavinia said:
Question 2: C1 and C2 are both circles in R^3 so the product is embedded in R^6.

Question 1. The top of the torus,T, is a circle at height of 1 above the xy-plane. and has radius 2
The circle C2 is the same circle.
Thanks so much for your help Lavinia ... ...

... ... BUT ... for Question 1 ... do you mean "The circle C1 is the same circle"and ... if it is supposed to be C_1, then could Singh have alternatively, defined C_1 as

[itex]C_1[/itex] as [itex]\{ (x,y, -1) \ | \ x^2 + y^2 = 4 \}[/itex] ...

as this seems to define the bottom of the torus ...

Hope you can help further ... ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Thanks so much for your help Lavinia ... ...

... ... BUT ... for Question 1 ... do you mean "The circle C1 is the same circle"and ... if it is supposed to be C_1, then could Singh have alternatively, defined C_1 as

[itex]C_1[/itex] as [itex]\{ (x,y, -1) \ | \ x^2 + y^2 = 4 \}[/itex] ...

as this seems to define the bottom of the torus ...

Hope you can help further ... ...

Peter
yes he could have defined C_1 as the bottom of the torus.

Thanks Lavinia ... Appreciate the help ...

Just quickly ... In your answer to question 1, did you mean: The Circle C1 is the same circle?

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Thanks Lavinia ... Appreciate the help ...

Just quickly ... In your answer to question 1, did you mean: The Circle C1 is the same circle?

Peter
yes. sorry

Thanks again Lavinia ... most helpful ...

Peter

1. What is a Torus?

A Torus is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a donut or a tire. It is created by rotating a circle around an axis that does not intersect the circle's plane. It is also known as a "doughnut" shape.

2. What is Singh's Example 2.2.5?

Singh's Example 2.2.5 is a mathematical example that demonstrates how to find the volume and surface area of a torus using calculus. It involves finding the integral of a curve in order to calculate the volume and surface area.

3. What is baffling about certain aspects of the torus?

Some people may find the concept of a torus baffling because it is not a shape commonly encountered in daily life. Additionally, the process of finding its volume and surface area using calculus can be challenging for those who are not familiar with the principles of calculus.

4. How is Singh's Example 2.2.5 useful?

Singh's Example 2.2.5 is useful for understanding how to apply calculus to real-world problems. It also provides a clear and concise example of how to find the volume and surface area of a torus, which can be applied to various other shapes and objects.

5. Can the concepts in Singh's Example 2.2.5 be applied to other shapes?

Yes, the concepts in Singh's Example 2.2.5 can be applied to other shapes and objects. The method of finding the volume and surface area of a torus using calculus can be extended to other three-dimensional shapes such as spheres, cylinders, and cones.