Tracking travel between orbits in a whirlpool

StealthyRobot404
TL;DR Summary: What started as a neat idea for an RPG setting has become more intricate than expected. In a massive whirlpool there are several "orbiting" islands, and I would like an easier way to track sailing time between them.

I was so naive. A giant whirlpool with a bunch of islands that float along was such a simple idea! My desire for meticulous detail has driven me to new lengths, so here I am. I have quite a bit of data already, and an animated tracker for the islands and their orbits.

So, first off, the whirlpool itself is 9,814 miles (15,794 km) in diameter. I'm using a 360 day calendar to make things easier on myself, still with 12 months, 10 days a week. It's divided into temperature zones: Tropic, Temperate, and Arctic. All Islands rotate clockwise with the flow of the water. The current flows at 2.5 mph (4 km/h) [The speed of the current is slightly different in each ring but I'm not sure I want to get into that for this.) The speeds of the islands have been somewhat arbitrarily determined based on density, how much mass is underwater versus how much wind drag it may have based on terrain.

Cal1.jpg

So, Island A has an average distance of 3,024 miles (4,867 km) from the center and a 360 day orbit, giving it an average speed of 2.2 mph (3.5 km/hr).

Island B has an average distance of 4,563 miles (7343 km) from the center and a 840 day orbit, giving it an average speed of 1.4 mph (2.3 km/hr).

Assuming a ship has a speed of 5 mph (8 km/hr), it would take about 95 days for a ship to travel from A to B. The method of doing this is by essentially using a ruler to measure out segments of the travel path, adjusting as needed to find an efficient course.

Cal2.jpg

My big question: Is there an easier way? Some formula that could be devised that accounts for the speed of the islands speeds and locations?

Physics news on Phys.org
That’s a really interesting setting. I’m not sure how to calculate that travel time, but I also am willing to just fudge it.