Transformation of the neighborhood of a branch point

In summary, the author discusses the application of multivalued functions in root locus and explains that the neighborhood of a branch point transforms into a system of radial 'spokes'. However, the behavior may vary depending on the function being considered. The function w = A(s)H(s) is a ratio of polynomials, which can be factored into a constant times integer powers of (z-ai). The factors will always give branch points of the type shown in the diagram. The behavior near the zero point is curved and tangent lines look like the diagram. The behavior of the poles should be ignored for now, but they are important for other considerations. The zeros and poles of the function w = A(s)H(s) will affect
Eric_H
Hi all,

I was trying the understand theory behind Fourier and Laplace Transform (especially in the context of control theory) by reading the book "Complex Variables and the Laplace Transform for Engineers" written by "Wilbur R. LePage".

In section 6-10 of the book the author touches on the application of multivalued functions in root locus and said "the portion of the real axis in the neighborhood of a branch point w_o on the real axis transforms into a system of radial 'spokes', as shown in Fig. 6-15."

I am confused about the statement as I thought the transformation of the neighborhood of a branch depends on the function we are considering. For instance in the earlier examples in the book, the sq root, cubic root (and in general n-th root I believe) do forms a star / radial 'spokes'. However, in the section 6-10, the function we are converning: w = A(s)H(s) is a ratio of polynomials which I assume may have different behaviour than a simple n-th root?

Any help is appreciated.

001.PNG
002.PNG
003.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
Any polynomial can be factored into a constant times integer powers of (z-ai). More can be said about symmetry when the polynomial has all real coefficients. Although the factorization is different for different polynomials, the factors will always give branch points of the type shown.

PS. The behavior shown is only for a region near to the zero of the polynomial. In general, the "spokes" are curved with tangent lines at the zero point that look like the diagram.

Likes Eric_H
FactChecker said:
Any polynomial can be factored into a constant times integer powers of (z-ai). More can be said about symmetry when the polynomial has all real coefficients. Although the factorization is different for different polynomials, the factors will always give branch points of the type shown.

PS. The behavior shown is only for a region near to the zero of the polynomial. In general, the "spokes" are curved with tangent lines at the zero point that look like the diagram.
Thanks for your help. Do you mind explaining a bit more on how the factors of a polynomial will always give branch points of the type shown?
It does not look intuitive to me that
$$\Pi(z-a_i)$$
will generate such pattern.

In addition, the function w = A(s)H(s) is a ratio of polynomials, i.e. rational function, so I believe it should have this general form instead:
$$\frac{\Pi(z-a_i)}{\Pi(z-b_i)} $$
and therefore the effect of the denominator have to be taken into account too.

The zeros of the denominator are poles rather than branch points. They should be ignored for now, but they are very important for other considerations.
You should also include a constant multiplier as a factor. If all the coefficients are real, the multiplier will be real and any non-real zeros, ai, will come in conjugate pairs. Same for the poles, bi.
If all the ais are distinct, then every zero will map the real line to a single line tangent to the real line at zero on the range plane. If there are n identical ais, then you can consolidate them to a multiplier (z-ak)n. That would give a branch point as described above. There would be n lines through ak exactly evenly directed as described above that are mapped to curves through zero which are tangent to the real line.

Last edited:
Likes Eric_H
FactChecker said:
The zeros of the denominator are poles rather than branch points. They should be ignored for now, but they are very important for other considerations.
You should also include a constant multiplier as a factor. If all the coefficients are real, the multiplier will be real and any non-real zeros, ai, will come in conjugate pairs. Same for the poles, bi.
If all the ais are distinct, then every zero will map the real line to a single line tangent to the real line at zero on the range plane. If there are n identical ais, then you can consolidate them to a multiplier (z-ak)n. That would give a branch point as described above. There would be n lines through ak exactly evenly directed as described above that are mapped to curves through zero which are tangent to the real line.

Thank you so much for the follow up, but I still cannot visualize why every zero will map the real line to a single line tangent to the real line at zero on the range plane, especially when the factors are multiplied together. The point about conjugate pair are roots is clear and is the result of complex conjugate root theorem. I am also curious about in which way the poles will affect the function / mapping.

Do you mind explaining a bit more about the above points or point me to some readings about them (e.g. some specific chapters of a book)?

Thanks a lot.

1. What is a branch point in the context of neighborhood transformation?

A branch point in neighborhood transformation refers to a location in the neighborhood where there is a significant change or divergence in the surrounding area. This can be due to various factors such as physical barriers, changes in demographics, or economic developments.

2. How does neighborhood transformation impact the community?

Neighborhood transformation can have both positive and negative impacts on the community. On one hand, it can lead to improvements in infrastructure, amenities, and overall quality of life. However, it can also lead to displacement of residents, gentrification, and loss of cultural identity.

3. What are some common methods of transforming a neighborhood?

Some common methods of transforming a neighborhood include urban renewal projects, gentrification, and community-led initiatives such as beautification projects and community gardens. Other methods may include rezoning, public-private partnerships, and targeted investments in specific areas.

4. How do scientists study the transformation of a neighborhood?

Scientists can study the transformation of a neighborhood through various methods such as data analysis, surveys, interviews, and observations. They may also use geographic information systems (GIS) to map and analyze changes in the neighborhood over time.

5. How can neighborhoods be transformed in a sustainable and equitable way?

Transforming neighborhoods in a sustainable and equitable way requires careful planning and consideration of the needs and concerns of all community members. This may involve involving community members in the decision-making process, prioritizing affordable housing and public transportation, and implementing policies to prevent displacement of low-income residents.