Transitioning to Physics from Neuroscience

In summary: Your long-term career objective is to work in theoretical physics? If so, you should definitely consider getting a PhD in some other field first and then switching to theoretical physics. This will allow you to have a better chance of getting a position in theoretical physics.
Emir Shark
Hello,

I am midway in my Ph.D. in computational neuroscience. The exact degree that I will have will be a doctorate in Applied Mathematics. I have always been interested in physics (E&M, QM). I have always known this but I was too afraid to pursue my passion. I am learning physics as I go and even planning on auditing some graduate-level classes such as statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and electrodynamics. I don't know what kind of researcher I want to be, I do like astrophysics though. I have a lot of programming background.

I know it is far more common for people to transition from theoretical physics to other fields such as neuroscience, quantitative finance. But what about the other way around? If I graduate with an Applied Math Ph.D., how hard is it to get into theoretical physics? I don't want my Ph.D. to brand me as a neuroscientist for life.

Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Two things occur to me (these are not great revelations).
  1. If there is any flexibility in your thesis research you need to choose a direction towards your goal
  2. You will need the perfect POSTDOC position with contacts to an even more "physics" oriented position as a next step. Start to plan now.
Your assessment of the usual direction is correct: from general to specific. It has much to recommend it. But excellent work in anyone field is a pretty good indicator of future success and most people understand this . So do excellent work.

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to incorporate physics into my current thesis.

Likes hutchphd
Emir Shark said:
even planning on auditing some graduate-level classes such as statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and electrodynamics.

Point 1 - do you have the upper division undergraduate background to handle these classes?
Point 2 - what is your plan for competing for postdocs against candidates with stronger backgrounds?
Point 3 - what is your long-term career objective, and will that employer care waht your PhD is in? If so, what's your plan for getting around that?

Emir Shark said:
Thank you for your reply. I am trying to incorporate physics into my current thesis.
Here's a link to a page from which you can download an open-text neurophysics (graduate-level) introductory paper PDF: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/227181721_Foundations_of_Neurophysics

Many faculty working in theoretical biophysics/soft matter are located in applied math departments. A sizable number of them (especially among more senior faculty) switched fields during their career, usually from more well developed areas of physics such as high energy or quantum condensed matter. In general many of these faculty are quite receptive to people switching fields after their PhD, at least for people coming from the areas I mentioned. However, if you have a strong background in areas such as stochastic processes and random matrix theory it may be possible to transition to these fields even though your thesis work is in computational neuroscience.

I think it is unlikely for you to be able to switch to a more developed field of theoretical physics because of how post docs are funded. Postdocs in these areas are usually funded by department/institutional/other independent fellowships or they are shared by a group of faculty. So it is very hard to get one of these positions even if you did your PhD in that area. In biophysics/soft matter, many postdocs are funded by a single PI (likely because these fields are better funded), so while it may be difficult to get a fellowship, you may be able to find a PI who is willing to hire you.

1. What skills from neuroscience can be applied to physics?

Some skills that are useful for transitioning from neuroscience to physics include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and a strong foundation in mathematics. Additionally, both fields require a strong understanding of the scientific method and the ability to conduct experiments and interpret results.

2. Is it difficult to make the transition from neuroscience to physics?

The difficulty of transitioning from neuroscience to physics may vary from person to person. However, both fields have a strong basis in scientific principles and require a similar skill set, so the transition may be smoother for those with a strong background in mathematics and physics concepts.

3. Are there any specific courses or resources that can help with the transition?

There are several courses and resources available that can help with the transition from neuroscience to physics. Some universities offer interdisciplinary programs or courses that combine elements of both fields. Additionally, online resources such as textbooks, lectures, and tutorials can provide a solid foundation in physics principles and help bridge any knowledge gaps.

4. What career opportunities are available for those with a background in both neuroscience and physics?

Having a background in both neuroscience and physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities. For example, one could work in neuroscience research labs that focus on the physics of brain function, or in biophysics labs that study the physical principles behind neural activity. Other potential career paths include medical physics, neuroengineering, and biotechnology.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree in physics with a background in neuroscience?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in physics with a background in neuroscience. However, it may require taking additional undergraduate or graduate level physics courses to meet the prerequisites for the program. It is also important to demonstrate a strong interest and aptitude for physics through research experience and letters of recommendation.