Traveling to Mars with plasma rockets

In summary: The Aerobraking is an interesting concept, I can see this slowing down a satelite sent to Mars. With the martian atmosphere being so thin though, I don't think this would work on a ship carrying people. Any ship capable of carrying people will need to do so for months on end to reach Mars, the amount of extra equipment needed to sustain human life for that duration will make the ship far bigger and heavier.
Physics news on Phys.org
This look like an Ion drive which we already have put on a few satelites. The problem I see when you have low thrust is how do you slow down to get into orbit once you reach your destination? Unless you spend half the journy accelerating and half the journey stopping again.

What am I missing here, surely this just removes the problem of huge amounts of fuel required but not duration to get there and back.

In reality it will be a regular rockets that gets humans to Mars. Likely we will send the fuel required to get us back into Mars's orbit beforehand and refuel when we get there for the return journey.

ElliotSmith said:
Summary:: New plasma rockets could cut the travel time to Mars in half.

Plasma-powered rockets could reduce the travel time to Mars by roughly half.

https://theconversation.com/traveling-to-mars-with-immortal-plasma-rockets-58705
I'm not seeing where it says that in the article and it seems unlikely given the extremely low thrust of ion thrusters.

The article doesn't even have a byline. Science journalism is in a sorry state (and Beth Daley, I'm looking at you). It is likely written by Dan Goebel, or at least he is the common thread in the citations.

Next, the article absolutely does not say what the OP claims it says. It says one could carry more payload. The OP has sent us on a wild goose chase. While more payload is a good thing, it's not what the OP said it was.

Vanadium 50 said:
The article doesn't even have a byline.
The author is Gary Li.
MikeeMiracle said:
This look like an Ion drive which we already have put on a few satelites. The problem I see when you have low thrust is how do you slow down to get into orbit once you reach your destination?
For Mars, at least, there is the possibility of aerobraking.

The Aerobraking is an interesting concept, I can see this slowing down a satelite sent to Mars. With the martian atmosphere being so thin though, I don't think this would work on a ship carrying people. Any ship capable of carrying people will need to do so for months on end to reach Mars, the amount of extra equipment needed to sustain human life for that duration will make the ship far bigger and heavier.

MikeeMiracle said:
The Aerobraking is an interesting concept, I can see this slowing down a satelite sent to Mars. With the martian atmosphere being so thin though, I don't think this would work on a ship carrying people. Any ship capable of carrying people will need to do so for months on end to reach Mars, the amount of extra equipment needed to sustain human life for that duration will make the ship far bigger and heavier.
You're right about such a ship being bigger and heavier. Especially interesting given the square-cube law. Yet, aerobraking is the plan of record for SpaceX.

1. How does a plasma rocket work?

A plasma rocket works by using electricity to ionize a gas, usually a noble gas like xenon, and then accelerating the ionized gas out of the back of the rocket at high speeds. This creates thrust and propels the rocket forward.

2. Why use plasma rockets for traveling to Mars?

Plasma rockets are ideal for traveling to Mars because they are more efficient and have a higher specific impulse compared to traditional chemical rockets. This means they can travel longer distances with less fuel, making them perfect for the long journey to Mars.

3. How long would it take to travel to Mars using plasma rockets?

The exact travel time would depend on the specific design and capabilities of the plasma rocket, but it is estimated that a trip to Mars using plasma rockets could take anywhere from 3-6 months.

4. What are the risks of using plasma rockets for space travel?

One of the main risks of using plasma rockets for space travel is the potential for radiation exposure. The ionization process can create harmful radiation that could affect the crew on board. However, this risk can be mitigated by using proper shielding and safety protocols.

5. How does the cost of using plasma rockets compare to other forms of space travel?

Currently, plasma rockets are more expensive to build and operate compared to traditional chemical rockets. However, as technology advances and more research is done, the cost of using plasma rockets for space travel is expected to decrease. In the long run, plasma rockets may prove to be a more cost-effective option for traveling to Mars and other distant destinations.