Triangle and logarithm problem

In summary, the problem states that $z=\log_{2^a+2^{-a}} \left(4(ab+bc+ca)-(a+b+c)^2\right)$ and it is asked under what conditions $z$ has a real value. An attempt is made to solve the problem by simplifying the expression inside the logarithm and using the fact that it must be greater than zero. However, it is then realized that the problem is symmetric in $a, b, c$ and thus none of the given answers (A, B, C) are valid. It is then concluded that the correct answer must be D (None of these) since it is the only symmetric choice. Further reasoning is provided using the fact
Saitama
Problem:
Given that $a,b$ and $c$ are the sides of $\Delta ABC$ such that $$z=\log_{2^a+2^{-a}} \left(4(ab+bc+ca)-(a+b+c)^2\right)$$ then $z$ has a real value if and only if

A)a=b=2c
B)3a=2b=c
C)a-b=3c
D)None of these

Attempt:
I am not sure where to start with this kind of problem. I wrote the expression inside the logarithm as follows:
$$-(a^2+b^2+c^2-2(ab+bc+ca))$$
Since, anything inside the logarithm must be greater than zero, I have
$$a^2+b^2+c^2-2(ab+bc+ca)<0 \Rightarrow a^2+b^2+c^2<2(ab+bc+ca)$$
But $a^2+b^2+c^2 >ab+bc+ca$, I get $ab+bc+ca>0$. I doubt this is going to help.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Pranav said:
Problem:
Given that $a,b$ and $c$ are the sides of $\Delta ABC$ such that $$z=\log_{2^a+2^{-a}} \left(4(ab+bc+ca)-(a+b+c)^2\right)$$ then $z$ has a real value if and only if

A)a=b=2c
B)3a=2b=c
C)a-b=3c
D)None of these

Attempt:
I am not sure where to start with this kind of problem. I wrote the expression inside the logarithm as follows:
$$-(a^2+b^2+c^2-2(ab+bc+ca))$$
Since, anything inside the logarithm must be greater than zero,

Hey Pranav! :)

I agree that the argument to the logarithm should be greater than zero.
From that point on the problem is symmetric in $a,b,c$.
That is, they can be swapped around giving the same expression.
In other words, none of the answers A, B, or C fit.
Therefore the answer must be D.

I have
$$a^2+b^2+c^2-2(ab+bc+ca)<0 \Rightarrow a^2+b^2+c^2<2(ab+bc+ca)$$
But $a^2+b^2+c^2 >ab+bc+ca$, I get $ab+bc+ca>0$. I doubt this is going to help.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I believe that should be a $\ge$ sign.

Anyway, since $a,b,c$ are the sides of a triangle (which you did not use yet), you can conclude that this is always the case.

If $a,b,c$ are the sides of a triangle then $b+c > a$, $c+a>b$ and $a+b>c$. Multiply the first of those inequalities by $a$, the second by $b$ and the third by $c$, and add. That gives $2(bc+ca+ab) > a^2+b^2+c^2.$ Therefore $4(bc+ca+ab) > a^2+b^2+c^2 + 2(bc+ca+ab) = (a+b+c)^2.$ So $4(bc+ca+ab) - (a+b+c)^2$ is always positive and therefore always has a real logarithm (to any base).

I like Serena said:
That is, they can be swapped around giving the same expression.

Hi ILS! :)

I understand the above statement but how do you conclude the following:
:confused:

Opalg said:
If $a,b,c$ are the sides of a triangle then $b+c > a$, $c+a>b$ and $a+b>c$. Multiply the first of those inequalities by $a$, the second by $b$ and the third by $c$, and add. That gives $2(bc+ca+ab) > a^2+b^2+c^2.$ Therefore $4(bc+ca+ab) > a^2+b^2+c^2 + 2(bc+ca+ab) = (a+b+c)^2.$ So $4(bc+ca+ab) - (a+b+c)^2$ is always positive and therefore always has a real logarithm (to any base).

Thanks a lot Opalg, very nicely done. :)

Pranav said:
Hi ILS! :)

I understand the above statement but how do you conclude the following:

Since the problem is symmetric in $a, b, c$ the correct answer will also have to be symmetric in $a, b, c$. Neither of the answers A, B, or C are.

I like Serena said:
Since the problem is symmetric in $a, b, c$ the correct answer will also have to be symmetric in $a, b, c$. Neither of the answers A, B, or C are.

I see it now, thanks ILS! :)

Related to Triangle and logarithm problem

1. What is the relationship between triangles and logarithms?

The relationship between triangles and logarithms is based on the use of trigonometric functions to solve problems involving logarithms. Trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, are used to find missing sides or angles in a right triangle, which can then be used to solve logarithmic equations.

2. How can I use trigonometry to solve logarithmic equations?

To solve logarithmic equations using trigonometry, you can use the inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent. These functions can be used to find the angle or ratio needed to solve a logarithmic equation.

3. Can I use logarithms to find the missing side of a triangle?

Yes, logarithms can be used to find the missing side of a triangle by setting up a logarithmic equation that relates the known sides and angles of the triangle. This equation can then be solved using logarithmic properties and trigonometric functions.

4. What are some real-world applications of the triangle and logarithm problem?

The triangle and logarithm problem has many real-world applications, such as in navigation and engineering. For example, it can be used to determine the height of a tall building or the distance between two points on a map.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving triangle and logarithm problems?

Yes, there are some common patterns and shortcuts that can be used to solve triangle and logarithm problems more efficiently. For example, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to quickly find missing sides in a right triangle, and the laws of logarithms can help simplify and solve complex logarithmic equations.