Trig Assistance for CNC Machining/Engineering

In summary: Sorry if this is confusing.In summary, megani is asking if she is allowed to receive outside help on a graded assignment. She is told that she is not allowed to, but is given a link to a resource she can use.
megani
Trig help please! CNC Machining/Engineering

View attachment 4834

Attachments

• 20151015_141913.jpg
    20151015_141913.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I redraw the picture. you mean by DIA ( diameter ) right ?. you can notice that the two triangles the one with the big circle and the one with small circle are similar.

$dR = \frac{39}{\sin y}, cr = \frac{23.5}{\sin y}, ch = \frac{86}{\tan y}$ now

$dR + cr + ch = 126 $ hence

$126 = \frac{39}{\sin y} + \frac{23.5}{\sin y} + \frac{86}{\tan y} $

$126 \sin y = 62.5 + 86 \cos y $
View attachment 4837

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Yes DIA means the diameter...

Amer said:
I redraw the picture. you mean by DIA ( diameter ) right ?. you can notice that the two triangles the one with the big circle and the one with small circle are similar

Sorry your picture is not working now.

I edited my post

Amer said:
I redraw the picture. you mean by DIA ( diameter ) right ?. you can notice that the two triangles the one with the big circle and the one with small circle are similar.

$dR = \frac{39}{\sin y}, cr = \frac{23.5}{\sin y}, ch = \frac{86}{\tan y}$ now

$dR + cr + ch = 126 $ hence

$126 = \frac{39}{\sin y} + \frac{23.5}{\sin y} + \frac{86}{\tan y} $

$126 \sin y = 62.5 + 86 \cos y $

Just not too sure with the distance from S - H?

megani said:
Just not too sure with the distance from S - H?
you mean ch ? it is typo I meant $dh$. ch is perpendicular to SR so we have a right triangle $\tan y = \frac{86}{hd} $
$hd + dR + cr = 126$

Yes sorry HD...Initially I though 126-39-23.5 but there's a little gap between the circle, do you see?

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 4838

- - - Updated - - -

Actually...gap next to big circle too! :-\

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 71
yea I see it but it dose not affect the solution. "c" is the intersection between the tangent and the horizontal line "rs". and "ra " is perpendicular to the tangent it is a theorem the angle $acr = y$ I used sine definition to come up with $\sin y = \frac{23.5}{rc} \rightarrow rc = \frac{23.5}{\sin y}$

Hi megani,

Welcome to MHB! This appears to be part of a graded assignment. If so, are you allowed to receive outside help? I ask only to confirm that we aren't taking part in unallowed assistance.

Jameson said:
Hi megani,

Welcome to MHB! This appears to be part of a graded assignment. If so, are you allowed to receive outside help? I ask only to confirm that we aren't taking part in unallowed assistance.

Hi. No. I'm actually a learning support teacher (main focus numeracy) and my colleague and I are developing a revision workbook for some Dip. Engineering students and this was one of their resources.

What is Trig Assistance for CNC Machining/Engineering?

Trig Assistance for CNC Machining/Engineering is a mathematical tool that helps engineers and machinists calculate and solve problems related to trigonometry in the context of CNC machining. It involves using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to determine angles and dimensions for the production of precise and accurate parts using CNC machines.

Why is Trig Assistance important for CNC Machining/Engineering?

Trig Assistance is crucial for CNC machining and engineering because it allows for the precise calculation of angles, dimensions, and distances necessary for the production of high-quality and accurate parts. CNC machines rely heavily on trigonometric principles to execute complex movements and operations, making Trig Assistance essential for achieving the desired results.

How is Trig Assistance used in CNC Machining/Engineering?

Trig Assistance is used in CNC machining and engineering to determine the angles and dimensions needed for the production of parts using CNC machines. It involves using trigonometric functions and formulas to calculate values such as sine, cosine, and tangent, which are then used to program the CNC machine to perform specific movements and operations.

What are the benefits of using Trig Assistance in CNC Machining/Engineering?

There are several benefits of using Trig Assistance in CNC machining and engineering. These include increased precision and accuracy in the production of parts, improved efficiency in programming CNC machines, reduced errors and rework, and the ability to create complex parts that would be challenging to produce without the use of trigonometric principles.

Are there any tips for effectively using Trig Assistance in CNC Machining/Engineering?

Some tips for effectively using Trig Assistance in CNC machining and engineering include having a solid understanding of trigonometric principles, using the correct formulas and functions for the specific problem at hand, and double-checking all calculations for accuracy. It is also helpful to use CAD software or other tools to visualize the part and its dimensions before programming the CNC machine.