Trig Manipulations I'm Not Getting

thatboi
Hi all,
I am starting with the following equation: ##2\cot\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right) = \cot\left(\frac{k_{1}}{2}\right) - \cot\left(\frac{k_{2}}{2}\right)##
with the following definitions: ##k_{1} = \frac{K}{2} + ik, k_{2} = \frac{K}{2}-ik, \theta = \pi(I_{2}-I_{1}) + iNk##, where ##k,K,N\in\mathbb{R}## and ##I_{2},I_{1}\in\mathbb{Z}##. I wish to plug these definitions into the above equation and get the new equation: ##\cos\left(\frac{K}{2}\right)\sinh(Nk)=\sinh[(N-1)k]+\cos[\pi(I_{2}-I_{1})]\sinh(k)##. I have done the following (first use the identity ##\cot\frac{\theta}{2} = \frac{1+\cos\theta}{\sin\theta}##):
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
&2\frac{1+\cos\theta}{\sin\theta} = \frac{1+\cos k_{1}}{\sin k_{1}}-\frac{1+\cos k_{2}}{\sin k_{2}} \\
&\rightarrow 2\frac{1+\cos(\pi(I_{2}-I_{1}))\cos(iNk)-\sin(\pi(I_{2}-I_{1}))\sin(iNk)}{\sin(\pi(I_{2}-I_{1}))\cos(iNk)+\sin(iNk)\cos(\pi(I_{2}-I_{1}))} = \frac{1+\cos\frac{K}{2}\cos(ik)-\sin\frac{K}{2}\sin(ik)}{\sin\frac{K}{2}\cos(ik)+\cos\frac{K}{2}\sin(ik)}-\frac{1+\cos\frac{K}{2}\cos(ik)+\sin\frac{K}{2}\sin(ik)}{\sin\frac{K}{2}\cos(ik)-\cos\frac{K}{2}\sin(ik)}\\
&\rightarrow -2i\frac{1+\cos(\pi(I_{2}-I_{1}))\cosh(Nk)}{\sinh(Nk)\cos(\pi(I_{2}-I_{1}))} = \frac{2i\sinh(k)}{\cos\left(\frac{K}{2}\right)-\cosh(k)}
\end{split}
\end{equation}
where I dropped terms with ##\sin(\pi(I_{2}-I_{1}))## since they would evaluate to 0. While this is a lot more simplified I still don't know how to get to the final form of equation I want or if I made an error somewhere. Any advice appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The formula that you start with in your first line looks very unrealistic, when following the definitions you give for ## \theta ## and the various k's. It looks to me like the original problem statement may contain an error or two.