Trig proof: sum of squared cosecants

In summary: in summary, the equation $7t^3 - 35t^2 + 21t - 1$ has roots $\cot^2 x,\cot^2 2x,\cot^2 4x$ and the sum of these roots is 5.
Greg
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! I've tried a couple of approaches with this: converting to complex exponential form and using standard trigonometric identities but have been unable to solve. I suspect DeMoivre's formula applies but I don't see how.Prove \(\displaystyle \csc^2\left(\dfrac{\pi}{7}\right)+\csc^2\left(\dfrac{2\pi}{7}\right)+\csc^2\left(\dfrac{4\pi}{7}\right)=8\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
greg1313 said:
Hi! I've tried a couple of approaches with this: converting to complex exponential form and using standard trigonometric identities but have been unable to solve. I suspect DeMoivre's formula applies but I don't see how.Prove \(\displaystyle \csc^2\left(\dfrac{\pi}{7}\right)+\csc^2\left(\dfrac{2\pi}{7}\right)+\csc^2\left(\dfrac{4\pi}{7}\right)=8\)

you should be able to solve with the following approach ( if there is a problem I shall provide solution tomorrow)

using $\tan\, 7x = 0$ you can find the solution $\tan\, nx$ to be root of $t^6-21t^4+35t^2-7=0$
form the eqaution whose roots are $\frac{1}{t^2}$
you should have the roots $\cot^2 nx$
from this should know the sum of $\cot^2 nx$
add 1 to each term and get the result

Last edited:
kaliprasad said:
using $\tan\, 7x = 0$ you can find the solution $\tan\, nx$ to be root of $t^6-21t^4+35t^2-7=0$

I don't understand how to derive this result.

greg1313 said:
I don't understand how to derive this result.
from the series expansion of $\tan (2n+1) x$ we have

$\tan 7x = \dfrac{\tan ^7 x -21\tan ^ 5x + 35tan^3 x - 7\ tan\, x }{7\tan^6 x - 35 \tan ^4 x + 21 \tan ^2 x -1}$

as $\tan7x = 0$ for $x = \dfrac{n\pi}{7}$ n = 0 to 7 so

$\tan\,nx$ is root of$t^7 -21t^5 + 35t^3 - 7t= 0 $

as for n = 1 to 6 $\tan\, nx$ is not zero so
n = 1 to 6 $\tan\, nx$ is root of $t^6 -21t^4 + 35t^2 - 7= 0$
$\cot \, nx$ is root of $(\dfrac{1}{t})^6 -21(\dfrac{1}{t})^4 + 35(\dfrac{1}{t})^2 - 7= 0 $

or $7t^6-35t^4 +21t^2 -1=0$
so $\cot^2 nx$ is root of equation $7t^3 - 35 t^2 + 21 t - 1$ = 0
now $\cot^2 x = \cot^2 6x$
$\cot^2 2x = \cot^2 5 x$
$\cot^2 3x = \cot^2 4x$
so the roots are $\cot^2 x,\cot^2 2x,\cot^2 4x$
so we get sum of roots
$\cot^2 x + \cot^2 2x + \cot^2 4x = 5$ and adding 1 to each term on LHS you get the result

edit: I remembered that I have solved a similar problem at http://mathhelpboards.com/challenge-questions-puzzles-28/cotangent-sum-16172.html
and you can put n = 3 to get the result.

Last edited:

Related to Trig proof: sum of squared cosecants

1. What is the sum of squared cosecants?

The sum of squared cosecants is a trigonometric identity that states:
csc²A + csc²B = csc(A+B) * csc(A-B)
where csc is the cosecant function and A and B are angles in a triangle.

2. How is this identity derived?

This identity can be derived using basic trigonometric identities such as the Pythagorean identities and the double angle formula for cosine. It can also be derived geometrically by constructing a right triangle and using its side lengths to express the cosecant function.

3. What are the applications of this identity?

The sum of squared cosecants identity is commonly used in trigonometric proofs and calculations involving triangles. It can also be used in solving trigonometric equations and simplifying complex trigonometric expressions.

4. Can this identity be extended to more than two terms?

Yes, this identity can be extended to more than two terms. For example:
csc²A + csc²B + csc²C = csc(A+B+C) * csc(A+B-C) * csc(A-B+C) * csc(-A+B+C)

5. Are there any other related trigonometric identities?

Yes, there are several other related trigonometric identities such as the sum of squared cotangents identity and the sum and difference of cotangent identities. These identities can be derived using similar methods and can be used in various trigonometric calculations and proofs.