How to Solve the Integral of Cos^2(x) Tan^3(x)?

SIZE]In summary, to solve the given problem of evaluating $\int \cos^{2}x \, \tan^{3}x \, dx$, we can use the trigonometric identity $\sin^2x=1-\cos^2x$ to rewrite the integrand and then use the substitution $u=\cos(x)$ to solve the integral. After some algebraic manipulations and back-substitution, the final result is $-\frac{1}{2}\sin^2(x)-\ln|\cos(x)|+C$, where $C$ is an arbitrary constant.
shamieh
Stuck on this problem.

Evaluate
\(\displaystyle
\int \cos^{2}x \, \tan^{3}x \, dx\)

What I have so far:

used the trig identity sin/cos = tan
factored out a sin so I can have a even power.
changed \(\displaystyle \sin^{2}x\) to its identity = 1/2(1 - cos2x)
combined like terms and canceled out the cos

\(\displaystyle \int \cos^{2}x * \frac{\sin^{2}x}{\cos^{3}x} * \sin x \, dx\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{(1 - \cos 2x)}{\cos x} * \sin x \, dx\)

Now I'm not sure what to do.

Should i do u = cosx? but then won't i get -2sin(2x)dx which isn't in the problem above

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest writing $\sin^2x$ as $1-\cos^2x$.

Pranav said:
I suggest writing $\sin^2x$ as $1-\cos^2x$.

That's what I saw someone else doing but I thought $\sin^2x$ = 1/2(1 - cos2x) ? So how can you write it as that??

Last edited:
shamieh said:
That's what I thought someone else doing but I thought $\sin^2x$ = 1/2(1 - cos2x) ? So how can you write it as that??

I am not sure what you ask. $\sin^2x=(1/2)(1-\cos(2x))$ is perfectly valid but it doesn't help in the given problem. We are using the substitution u=cos(x) so we would like to have most of the terms as $\cos(x)$.

so would I have$-\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{u} - \frac{u^2}{u} * du$

which turns out to be

$-\frac{1}{2} [ln|u| - \frac{u^2}{2}] = -\frac{1}{2} ln|cosx| + \frac{cos^2x}{4} + c$ ?

Hello, shamieh!

[tex]\int \cos^2\!x \tan^3\!x \, dx[/tex]

[tex]\cos^2\!x\tan^3\!x \:=\:\cos^2\!x\frac{\sin^3\!x}{\cos^3\!x} \:=\;\frac{\sin^3\!x}{\cos x} \:=\:\frac{\sin^2\!x\cdot\sin x}{\cos x} [/tex]

. . [tex]=\;\frac{(1-\cos^2\!x)\sin x}{\cos x} \:=\: \left(\frac{1}{\cos x} - \cos x\right)\sin x [/tex]

. . [tex]=\;\frac{\sin x}{\cos x} - \sin x\cos x \:=\:\tan x - \sin x\cos x[/tex][tex]\int(\tan x - \sin x\cos x)dx \:=\:-\ln|\cos x| - \tfrac{1}{2}\sin^2x + C[/tex]

shamieh said:
so would I have

$-\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{u} - \frac{u^2}{u} * du$

How do you get a factor of $1/2$?

soroban said:
Hello, shamieh!

[tex]\cos^2\!x\tan^3\!x \:=\:\cos^2\!x\frac{\sin^3\!x}{\cos^3\!x} \:=\;\frac{\sin^3\!x}{\cos x} \:=\:\frac{\sin^2\!x\cdot\sin x}{\cos x} [/tex]

. . [tex]=\;\frac{(1-\cos^2\!x)\sin x}{\cos x} \:=\: \left(\frac{1}{\cos x} - \cos x\right)\sin x [/tex]

. . [tex]=\;\frac{\sin x}{\cos x} - \sin x\cos x \:=\:\tan x - \sin x\cos x[/tex][tex]\int(\tan x - \sin x\cos x)dx \:=\:-\ln|\cos x| - \tfrac{1}{2}\sin^2x + C[/tex]

I believe there is a error here. I don't understand hwo you have a sin^2x in the final answer

- - - Updated - - -

Pranav said:
How do you get a factor of $1/2$?
I see what I was doing i was substituting the 1/2(1 - cosx) or whatever it was and bringing the 1/2 out as a constant which was WRONG.
(I was using the wrong identity.) Changed that to $ 1 - cos^2x$ to fix the problemso you end up with just \(\displaystyle -[ln|u| - \frac{u^2}{2}] = -ln|cosx| + \frac{cos^2x}{2} + c\)

shamieh said:
I believe there is a error here. I don't understand how you have a sin^2x in the final answer

Well, it's equivalent to your result if you see it carefully enough. $\sin^2(x) = 1 - \cos^2(x)$

$$\ln|\cos x| - \tfrac{1}{2}\sin^2x + C = \ln|\cos x| - \tfrac{1}{2}\left[1 - \cos^2(x)\right] + C = \ln|\cos x| + \tfrac{1}{2}\cos^2x + \left [C - 1/2\right]$$

Since $C$ is arbitrary, replace $C - 1/2$ by $C$.

Here is a more circuitous route:

\(\displaystyle \cos^2(x)\tan^3(x)=\frac{1}{2}\frac{2\sin^2(x)}{2 \cos^2(x)}2\sin(x)\cos(x)=\frac{1}{4}\frac{\cos(2x)-1}{\cos(2x)+1}(-2\sin(2x))\)

Now, use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=\cos(2x)\,\therefore\,du=-2\sin(2x)\,dx\)

And the integral becomes:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}\int\frac{u-1}{u+1}\,du=\frac{1}{4}\int 1-\frac{2}{u+1}\,du=\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}\left(u-\ln\left((u+1)^2 \right) \right)+C\)

Back-substitute for $u$:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}\left(\cos(2x)-\ln\left((\cos(2x)+1)^2 \right) \right)+C\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{\cos(2x)}{4}-\ln\left(\sqrt{\cos(2x)+1)} \right)+C\)

Using double-angle identities for cosine, we have:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{2}\sin^2(x)-\ln|\cos(x)|+C+\frac{1}{4}\)

Since an arbitrary constant plus a constant is still an arbitrary constant, the result may be written as:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{2}\sin^2(x)-\ln|\cos(x)|+C\)

soroban said:
Hello, shamieh!

The integral can be evaluated from here using the substitution [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \cos{(x)} \end{align*}[/tex] (you will need to negate the integrand though as [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} du = -\sin{(x)}\,dx \end{align*}[/tex]).

Related to How to Solve the Integral of Cos^2(x) Tan^3(x)?

1. What are trigonometric integrals?

Trigonometric integrals are integrals that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These integrals are used to solve problems that involve angles and circular motion.

2. How do you integrate trigonometric functions?

To integrate trigonometric functions, you can use trigonometric identities, substitution, or integration by parts. It is important to also use the properties of integrals, such as linearity and the power rule, when integrating trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite trigonometric integral?

A definite trigonometric integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite trigonometric integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give a specific numerical value, while an indefinite integral will give a function as the solution.

4. Can trigonometric integrals be solved using a calculator?

Yes, some trigonometric integrals can be solved using a calculator, particularly those that involve simple trigonometric functions. However, more complex integrals may require manual techniques and cannot be solved using a calculator.

5. What are some real-world applications of trigonometric integrals?

Trigonometric integrals have many real-world applications, including calculating the area under a curve, determining the velocity and acceleration of objects in circular motion, and solving problems in physics and engineering, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile.